X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

AC Blower Motor Replacement

I had my AC system checked because it did not seem to be putting out enough cold air. It turns out it was low on freon. I went back to my house and got a can of R12 that I have a supply of. They added that can and it started putting out really good cold air. While driving it a bit later on though, suddenly, my blower stopped working and it got pretty hot in that car in the 95+ degree heat outside. I went back to the shop and they checked my AC blower motor and found that there was power getting to it, but it had died on me.

That started a hunt for a replacement or a repair of it. I opted for a local repair. I was told they could fix it. But then later was told that it might take awhile to find the parts for that motor. So I started looking for a replacement, and found that they are hard to come by. The AC Motor that was on there was a 2 wire motor. The original unit is a 3 wire unit, according to the wiring diagram. Apparently, my original one had failed in the past and someone put in a 2 wire unit. We can see where wiring changes were made going to the motor to facilitate that.

After talking with most of the Tbird parts vendors I found out that a re-manufactured one was not readily available. Or if it was, it was going to cost over $100 plus a $100 core charge. One parts house has a 3-4 weeks delay while they rebuild your motor.

Finally, I talked with Mike at Tbird Hqs. He told me that they did not have any rebuilt motors because they did not have any cores to rebuild. But he did have a new AC Delco blower motor in stock! In fact, he is running one on his '58 Squarebird with no problems at all. So I bought one! I should have it tomorrow. What they have in stock is a model that one of their guys found would work on our Tbirds. It is a 2 wire unit. I think he said the shaft on it is a bit longer than the original one, but it does not cause any problems. He said he has a half dozen of them in stock. They sell for $69, plus an additional part for a few bucks that goes on the side of the case. I gather that the case has about a one inch hole in it that this short elbow piece plugs into. It is to allow you, if you wish, to hook a hose up to your AC plenum box. He has not done that. He just turned it down and lets it hang there. The AC Delco Part Number for this unit is 15-8110. I do not know what make or year cars it was made for, but he says it works on our Squarebirds with no problems. Here is a link to it.

So, if you are not concerned with having a non-original part on your Tbird, this AC motor will do the trick should you lose yours and not be able to find an original replacement off a parts car or a rebuilt one.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Hey! That's a good price!

US$36.46 (+4.99 s/h) is half (to 1/3) as much as our parts houses want for a Ford blower motor.

Good find, Ray. Hope it works out for you because I know Texas is HOT.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Well, it looks like I paid twice as much as I would have, had I known which AC Delco model number to look for on the internet! Oh well, at least ya'll know where you can find one cheaper than what I paid for it. However, I should have mine tomorrow and not in 3-4 days... It is worth it to get the AC going again in this hot Texas weather.

JohnG, you might want to grab the Amazon link that Dave gave us for future use, in case someone else needs an AC motor in the future.. Thanks, Dave.

I did some research on the AC Delco site. It appears this AC blower motor was used on Ford Medium Duty Trucks, 1980-81 F600-700, 1972-80 L-LN-LT-LTS and 1970-79 F500-700. It is a 12v motor. I also found out that this model blower motor is used on Komatsu equipment! Also '64-'72 Ford F-N-NT-T trucks. And '79-'85 Kenworth Trucks 500!
      Last edited by YellowRose; June 25, 2010, 01:50 AM. Reason: Additional information

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Blower motor vehicle list - 67+ pages !!!

Using the '82 Fairmont info (first on the list) it looks like it crosses to an Advance Auto 35514 $33.99 and a PM350 at O'Riley $31.99 - they look to have the same hole in the side of the motor that you described Ray.

Hope you get it going soon - NC is hot too - looking forward to finishing my A/C system install - Heat index 104 yesterday - the humidity kills us.

Eric
        registry 5347

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Eric, thanks for the additional information on this motor. It seems to be a pretty common one, used on a lot of different makes and models of cars and trucks. Good luck with your AC project. I hope to have mine working again later today or tomorrow. Like you, we have high humidity also and that just gets you down.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Oh, man... this gets even better...

I went to RockAuto.com, looking for a good price, but acutely aware that much of their stuff is Chinese. Look what I found:

FOUR SEASONS Part # 35502 $20.79

"Our Unimotor facility in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, produces fractional-horsepower DC blower motors and radiator fan motors."

Canada makes great stuff! (Right, Howard & Dano?) Seriously, this is the best deal yet. And if that motor is out of stock, Rock has a "SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 0335476 {Motor - Blower}" for a dollar more.

I would jump all over the Four Seasons motor (if I had a Thunderbird). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dave I might be a little biased but yes,we DO make good stuff and the warranty isn't bad either.
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Well Dave, when you gettin a t-bird???? This has nothing to do t-birds but my 70 couger has a 91 chevy air unit under the dash. Fit like a glove. Part # s is the name of the game. I came across a guy selling his parts buss. and told him I'll take all the old books being he had a computor system. I think I have a couple four season ones...

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

That is a good question, Bill! Dave, Brandon has enough Tbirds now with the 10th one he bought, that you could easily make one good one out of them with no trouble at all for you, as good a mechanic as you are! You could even have the best of three years of Squarebirds, by putting together a 58, 59 and 60 Tbird, taking the best features of all three years! Thanks for posting the RockAuto information. I have asked JohnG to grab this thread for the TRL for future use when someone else looses an AC blower motor. Mine has not shown up yet. I hope it does this evening because I want to get it in tomorrow.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Bill, Ray,... I was thinkin' of buying that '55 T-bird body for $500. It may be 'mini' but at least its a 'bird! My last T-bird was a '81, and it was a GREAT family car.

Bill, your A/C story reminds me of my first trip to Mississippi, two years ago. I happened to be at a Wal-Mart in Corinth, when I saw a guy on a motorcycle in the parking lot. This thing had a huge radiator in front. The closer I got, the more I realized it also had a Chevy 350 V-8!

I had to talk with the rider, and asked him if insurance was killing him... He said, "Nope! The INshurnce comp'ny asked what size it was and I said, '350'. They must have thought I meant CC's."

I guess I'll never forget the sight of this guy with his legs spread from monday to friday, trying to negotiate the parking lot at slow speed, and avoid touching his legs on exhaust manifolds that stuck way out each side.

But, hey. I'd love to have another T-bird in my future. I've always regarded them as being a 'giant step' above the other Ford's. If one comes along with a title and a good price... you never know.

Ray, I sincerely hope your part comes in tonight. Texas is brutal without air. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I received my Heater & A/C Blower Motor this afternoon. It says it is made in Mexico. It is an ACDelco 15-8110 or 12306580. Tbird Hqs lists it as B19805B 61/66 Heater & A/C Blower Motor. It does have about a 1" hole in it on the side for cooling purposes. I bought their B19A786B 90 degree turn piece of rubber hose that goes in the hole to keep water out. It is 2-3 inches long. Had I known then what I know now, I could have bought this motor for around $35 or less from Advanced Auto or O'Reilly's, or $20 from Rock Auto, plus shipping... Oh well, live and learn. I was in a hurry to get it, and it was delayed in shipping getting here, but it goes in tomorrow morning. Then I will see what happens with my A/C. I want them to set it up so it blows in the high position all the time because I am in Texas and not Alaska!

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I took Rose in this morning to get the AC motor installed. Unfortunately, they were missing half their staff today, so he asked me to bring her back tomorrow. So I will. I took some pix of that "resistor" that has been mentioned that is involved in the Low/High fan setting. It looks to me to be a wire wound coil "resistor" and not what I was expecting. A resistor that I am more used to seeing in electronics equipment. Here is what it looks like for those who have never seen it before, like me!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just got back a bit ago from getting the AC blower motor installed. It works like a champ again! It also has Low and High settings working. While he was at it, he did a lot of wiring cleanup under the hood, wiring looming things so it all looks really nice in that area now. I have good, cold air coming out again and it sure feels great in this Texas heat!

Comment

• fomoco59
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 10 2005

Ray, Is it quiet? (or was it noisy before?) Mine's really noisy and I'm not sure if it's the motor or fan.
                            sigpic
                            Mike Lemmon
                            '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Mike,

Mine is very quiet. I don't hear it running. You might be getting an indication that the motor is going out on you. Or, perhaps the squirrel cage is not screwed down well enough on the shaft. Or it is damaged. It could also be that the back of the squirrel cage is touching the ends of the two bolts that hold the motor to that round flange. He took several measurements of the opening the motor and blower go into to make sure that he had a good fit and it was not touching anything. He also made sure that it was not hitting anything on the back side of it, like the motor mount bolt ends. So far, so good!

Keep in mind that simplyconnected found much cheaper pricing of this fan at other places than I did, if you have to replace it. $20 something bucks instead of the $70 I paid through one of our parts vendors. If I had known what model to get locally I could have saved myself some money. But I did not know that until after the fact, after I found out what ACDelco model would work.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎