X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cubbear
    Experienced
    • Nov 29 2008

engine smokes

I had engine rebuilt about 3 yrs ago and just got it in the car. the person that rebuilt it has passed away so I can't get any information from him. Any suggestions? thanks again
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

How long have you had it running. If he used a lot of lube when he assembled it it may just need to burn off.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• cubbear
      Experienced
      • Nov 29 2008

Thanks John

I have run it quite abit the longer I run it it seems to get worse

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would pull the plugs and see if it's one particular cylinder or all of them.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

"Engine Smokes" is awfully ambiguous. Does the engine start right up? When does the smoke start? Have you run the car? Is it lacking power? What color is the smoke? Is it from oil, gas, or steam?

This might be a simple timing chain problem or a gasket problem. It's hard to know from your description. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cubbear
            Experienced
            • Nov 29 2008

engine smokes

checked compression in all cylinders all cylinders the same @150 lbs books says 180 + or - 20lbs the plugs on the rear cylinders on rt and left appear to be blacker than the rest

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

If it's a rebuilt engine I assume everything is to specs. In other words, he didn't forget a few rings and he properly sealed it.

There are only a couple things that can cause smoke:
              * Too much gas or improper timing chain settings.
              * Gasket leak; usually a head gasket but it could be from the intake.

Intake gasket leaks usually let coolant in and could cause bubbles or pressure problems in the radiator.
              Head gasket leaks could let coolant or oil in.

What is the engine using? Is the coolant or oil level going down?

Valve Seal leaks usually billow (upon startup) with a black smoke but that goes away after a few minutes.

How's your oil pressures? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cubbear
                Experienced
                • Nov 29 2008

engine smokes

Thanks fellows I am going to pull the intake and see if ther is a leak someware in there if I can't find anything I am going to pull the engine

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

timing chain setting?

That is an interesting statement. Will youi please explain how a timing chain setting can affect oil consumption? Thanks,Henry

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 63-4drpost
                    ... Will you please explain how a timing chain setting can affect oil consumption?..
                    Henry, it's very hard to troubleshoot engine problems without actually experiencing the situation first hand. I can only go by is what is written in the post. At best, sometimes we can read between the lines or recognize what isn't said.

In this case, I have to go by exactly what the post claims. In the title line, it simply says, 'engine smokes'. We're working on a 'smoke' problem and we don't know if it is from coolant, brake fluid, gasoline, or oil. The smoke color hasn't been described, either.

I asked if any liquid levels are depleting but got no answer to any of my questions. I cannot jump to any conclusion without factual answers to specific questions.

Regardless, a mis-timed chain set can certainly cause black smoke and produce reduced power (don't ask me how I know). It's from the fuel mixture, not oil consumption. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by cubbear
                      checked compression in all cylinders all cylinders the same @150 lbs books says 180 + or - 20lbs the plugs on the rear cylinders on rt and left appear to be blacker than the rest
                      This is a clue. Is the smoke black? That's unburned gas from those two cylinders. I'd check and rebuild your carb before I removed the intake though. While you have it off you can feel around in there with some light steel wire, but it would be unusual to have anything blocking two passages.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎