Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put a 390 engine from a 64tbird onto a 1960 third with no modification

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I put a 390 engine from a 64tbird onto a 1960 third with no modification

Any information will help thanks 😊 .. can I put a 390 engine from a 64 t bird into my 1960 t bird with no modification. Engine engine and transmission.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The engine itself is the same. The intake manifold is slightly different in that the carburetor base plate has coolant running through it. It also has a pcv type system instead of the road draft tube. It will work fine if you want to leave it that way. The only other issue you may have is the exhaust manifolds. They are different. You may have to reuse the 352 manifolds. As for the transmission the '64 has a vacuum modulator so you will have to run vacuum to it. Other than that they are the same. The '64 engine has an alternator instead of a generator so you will have to do some wiring if you are going to keep it which I recommend.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
      Apprentice
      • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
      The engine itself is the same. The intake manifold is slightly different in that the carburetor base plate has coolant running through it. It also has a pcv type system instead of the road draft tube. It will work fine if you want to leave it that way. The only other issue you may have is the exhaust manifolds. They are different. You may have to reuse the 352 manifolds. As for the transmission the '64 has a vacuum modulator so you will have to run vacuum to it. Other than that they are the same. The '64 engine has an alternator instead of a generator so you will have to do some wiring if you are going to keep it which I recommend.

John
      John,
      Your reply has me curious, I have a '60 with a 390. I don't know it's vintage. I currently have a generator, but the mounting bolt on the block, near the head is on the side, which I was led to believe is a later, alternator style block.
      I do not have coolant through the carb mounting plate. I just replaced the plate with a plastic one. Does this mean the intake is maybe from the 352?

Also, I have a COM, which I assumed was the original trany, but I do have a vacuum modulator. Does this mean I have a later trany as well.

Eddie,
      You may need new engine mounts as well. It is my understanding that the mounts you get will depend on the type of transmission you have. I maybe wrong, someone please correct me.
      These are the mounts I have with a 390 and a Cruise-O-Matic.

And:

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; September 5, 2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The post '61 390 blocks have an alternator mounting hole in the front as well as the holes in the side for mounting the original generator bracket.

Early 390's prior to '63 did not have the coolant running through the carburetor base plate. It's possible they reused the 352 manifold.

All Thunderbird COM's beginning in 1961 had the vacuum modulator.

The 1964 390 motor mounts are identical to the 352 mounts. You can reuse your original trans mount on the 1964 COM.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎