Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadkillontheweb
    Apprentice
    • Oct 5 2007

Guess I never did update this thread when I finished the 1960 Thunderbird JR taillight lens and bezel project. Here it is. Or at least 2/3rds of it so you can see the detail.

The back piece and everything is formed as one piece and there are screws cast into the assembly to allow for mounting. Once the lenses and bezel are painted the whole assembly is mounted to the body over the taillight bulbs. Yes you could even do a back up lenses. The lenses are done in clear plastic so they can be painted with translucent red paint to give that realistic red tint to the lens for the operating lights.

I also don't think I have updated the thread since frames have become available? Check the Youtube video for the frames.
    If you can not find a Mustang or Thunderbird Junior for sale or afford one if you do? Here is a potential option for you. Someone in Pella Iowa is now produc...

When I get another body order for this body I will post a video for the 58-60 body on Youtube also.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

holy smokes

those little cars are cool
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1958-60 Thunderbird Junior body from original mold

I was really pleased to see Lee posting again regarding his progress with the Tbird Junior cars! There is a whole section that covers the Junior cars that Lee has been working on. There are three pages of postings in it for those who want to read up on Tbird and other Junior cars. They played an important part in advertising the Tbirds in their early years. Here is the link.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
          Apprentice
          • Oct 5 2007

I have been rather busy lately with making new molds and just life in general. I had some hits from this thread to my server today so i took a look and saw that I never updated the thread.

Comment

• Paulie9fingers
            Apprentice
            • May 3 2010

AWESOME !!!!!!!
            " If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious sh*t. "

Dr Emmett Brown, 1985

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
              Apprentice
              • Oct 5 2007

It has not happened yet but I am sure some day someone will take one of my Squarebird bodies and do it with a Larry Watson type paint job or a SoCal low rider theme. This brings up the question how would you do hydraulics and flame throwers on a junior?

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                Apprentice
                • Oct 5 2007

I just found an original image of the body mold being made.

I believe that the gentleman doing the work is Charles Stobar with Ford styling

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                  Apprentice
                  • Oct 5 2007

Found another image of a 1959 that appears to be the grand prize in a drawing? It is a gas powered version, you can tell by the opening trunk lid that the electric powered versions did not have. The drive train would have been a Clinton motor.

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Very cool.....
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 5 2007

There is a nice original condition 1959 1/4 scale on Ebay right now.

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 5 2007

1959 Thunderbird JR 3/8 scale parts in the works.
                        I am currently working on reproduction grille insert and taillights for the larger 1959 Thunderbird JR bodies. Should be done here shortly.

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                          Apprentice
                          • Oct 5 2007

The 1959 Thunderbird JR taillight bezel and lens assembly and the grille insert are done.

Next thing I want to do is make the 1960 grille insert for the 3/8 scale version.

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

Looks GREAT! It make me very glad to see that these cars are taken well care of. Thumbs UP!
                            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 5 2007

I am working on the 1960 Grille insert now and the 1959 door spears? (not sure what they are called). I also discovered that the bumpers guards on the Junior cars were side specific so I borrowed an original passenger side and now make a left and right front bumper guard pairs. I have the images on facebook now but should have them hosted soon so that I can share them elsewhere.

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                                Apprentice
                                • Oct 5 2007

If you are on Facebook you can watch as a pair of 1959 Thunderbird JR cars get built from reproduction parts. They will be driven by electric motor with 48V Nicad batteries and will run much faster than originals. https://www.facebook.com/1959tbirdjrbuild

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎