Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I'm with John, but do it in the dark. That center spark plug wire should put out a pretty blue spark. If it doesn't, let us know.

BTW, did you get your key to work the starter solenoid?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• smokey6993
      • Jul 20 2012

No, still have to cross the selinoid.

Comment

• smokey6993
        • Jul 20 2012

no spark

I have power to the coil, and when I crank it shows around 8 volts comming out. The distributer button seems worn, as do the points. should I replace the wires, cap, button, and points? Or, could the problem still be the nuetral switch, because I cant crank from the key?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you do as I suggested and see if the coil is putting out spark. You can bypass the neutral switch by removing the red/blue wires and connecting them together. Just make sure you are in park or neutral when you try to start it.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Yeah, he says 'No spark', John.

Ok, you have two separate problems that need to be fixed. Let's take them one at a time:

The key should work properly. Use your light to troubleshoot from the (S) post on the Starter Solenoid (the small stud next to the large Battery post), back to the Key Switch. Connect one lead from your test light on a solid ground. Use the wiring diagram to test with the other test light lead.

Put the gear shift in PARK and have someone turn the to the key to 'Start' while you check voltages. Start at the Red-Blue wire at the Starter Solenoid. If no voltage (no light) follow the diagram towards the source. That wire connects to the Neutral Switch on your steering column. Check it there. Again, if no voltage, go farther back towards the source, the Red-Blue wire that originates at the Key Switch. At some point, you will have a light. We usually find the Neutral Switch is out of adjustment, or a connection is loose.

SPARK****
            If you have voltage at the coil, check the small wire on the coil's (-) post and follow it to the points. Make sure your points and condenser are good and double check the short ground wire inside the distributor at the 'pivot plate'. Refer to your Shop Manual. Take pictures so we can see what's going on. - Dave
            Last edited by simplyconnected; August 1, 2012, 04:03 PM. Reason: I agree w/Jon... Pertronix is great.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

This is the point were I would ditch the stock points/condensor and upgrade to the more reliable & efficient Petronix system...

-Jon in TX.
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird430
                This is the point were I would ditch the stock points/condensor and upgrade to the more reliable & efficient Petronix system...

-Jon in TX.
                I would TOTALLY agree!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• smokey6993
                  • Jul 20 2012

Some info

I'll get pics later.. But for now, I did connect the nuetral switch wires together, Still did not engage starter, or get spark.. I checked the center terminal on the ingition switch, came back ZERO volts when I turned the key. All other terminals have 12 volts. The center terminal does engage the starter right? I'm as frustrated as ever.

One more thing. I tried to get voltage at the coil using the coils ground and positive..and got nothing. I grounded elswhere, and showed 12 volts. Is the ground my issue with spark?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

When you put the new ignition switch in did you follow the lettering on the back of the new switch or did you just copy the way the old switch was. I made that mistake when I put a new switch in recently. I followed the old switch and had the same problem. I then checked the lettering on the new switch and found the terminals were one off from the old switch.

John

Comment

• smokey6993
                      • Jul 20 2012

wiring

I followed the old ignition wiring. WHat color is supposed to be on the center termonal? I really appologize for all the newbie questions, but I have no real knowledge of this, just the basics. I know the center terminal is the S on the old, I'll have to check the new one I guess. Thanks for the input..Gave me some hope!

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The center terminal (S) should be red/blue. You probably have the battery (large yellow wire) on the wrong terminal like I did. It should be marked B. You should have a black/green and red/green wire on the I terminal and a black/green, orange/yellow and black wire on the A terminal. Rewire your switch and I bet everything will work correctly.

John

Comment

• smokey6993
                          • Jul 20 2012

Thanks!!

I'm on it in 5 minutes. I'll let you know. THANK you again for giving me hope,

Comment

• smokey6993
                            • Jul 20 2012

You da man!

I turned the key and she turned over!!!!!!! Now, I'm going to see if she'll fire. I hope this was my spark problem, what do ya think!!

Comment

• smokey6993
                              • Jul 20 2012

Not firing yet.

Still not firing? I guess I'll be doing a tune up, unless someone suggests somthing else?
                              Last edited by smokey6993; August 2, 2012, 11:43 AM. Reason: because

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If it's been sitting for a long time I would at least use some fine sandpaper on the points. If you still can't get it to fire I would replace the condenser. They seem to go bad when they sit for awhile.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎