• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Ford to cease Australian automaking operations after 90 years

Filed under: Sedan, SUV, Plants/Manufacturing, Ford, Australia

Ford began manufacturing cars in Australia in 1925 with the Model T. In 2016, Ford will stop manufacturing cars Down Under, including the Falcon and the Territory SUV. Ford Australia CEO Bob Graziano has reportedly confirmed the closure of the company's Broadmeadows assembly plant and the Geelong engine plant, both in the state of Victoria. There will be 650 jobs lost at Broadmeadows, 510 sacrificed at Geelong. Of the roughly 3,000 workers the Blue Oval has in Australia, it's said it will try to retain about 1,000 of them at its R&D and product development facilities.

The writing hasn't just been on the wall, it's been a regular item in all the papers and on Ford's bottom line for years. As recently as 2003, Ford sold nearly 75,000 Falcons, but over the next four years, annual sales dropped by something like 10,000 units, and over the last two years, it has sold less than 20,000 per year. It isn't only Ford that has suffered - sales of the other large, locally produced sedan, the Holden Commodore, have also gone over the precipice, triggering the same kind of angst about Holden's continued existence. Ford is the smallest of Australia's local automakers, Holden and Toyota the others, and has posted losses of $AUD141 million last year ($136M US) and $AUD600 million ($580M US) in the past five years. Graziano said the cost of manufacturing is simply too expensive in the country, twice as high as Europe and three times as high as Asia, and there no way to make a business case for staying in the country.

In January 2012, Ford Australia announced it would stay in the country until at least 2016, but by July of the same year, most outside observers were quietly declaring that 2016 would be the last year of Ford Down Under, and even the speculation was making other observers nervous. Ford received money from the Victorian government last year to aid its refresh of the Falcon and Territory, which will continue on schedule for the 2014 model year. A front- and all-wheel-drive sedan on a global platform is predicted to replace the Falcon, with some other SUV expected to replace the Territory. The company says it still intends to expand its lineup in the country.

As for what will replace the employment hole at the factories and the supplier base, no one is quite sure. Ford has said that the employees will receive their entitlements, and workers do have three years to prepare for what's coming. As well, the state and national governments have already committed tens of millions to a fund to assist the employees.Ford to cease Australian automaking operations after 90 years originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 23 May 2013 08:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • KULTULZ

Graziano said the cost of manufacturing is simply too expensive in the country, twice as high as Europe and three times as high as Asia, and there no way to make a business case for staying in the country.
    Key words here. At some point, all manufacturing (maybe not final assembly) will be either CHI-COM or SE ASIA (or INDIA).

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Wake up, everyone. We're next. Americans never supported American products when foreign offerings are cheaper. Consequently, nothing is made in the USA any more.

I don't blame the industry because they follow the market. If you want Communist Chinese cars, Ford & GM are already there to make one for you. If you choose to buy foreign products, don't cry over the consequences at home. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

I think the problem lies more with our present and past government(s) ... ... than large manufacturers. It is simply unrealistic for them to invest in this current anti-business environment.

OBAMA CARE put the final lid on it.

After all, we have the best government money can buy...

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

The problem isn't with industry OR governments. Every time you spend a buck, you're casting your support.

I've been waiting for our government to come out and say, "BUY AMERICAN." Nope, it's a free enterprise system in a global economy.

When 300,000,000 Americans spend their money, they freely buy Communist Chinese and Asian products, with reckless abandon. The US government MUST NOT interfere.

I look in university, hospital, military base parking lots and all along the east and west US coasts. Not only are they FILLED with foreign cars but the bone yards are too. Domestic car parts are impossible to find at a decent price because there are none. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Well Dave,

It is the government, NAFTA for starters. And many industries were subsidized to move off-shore. It is a fact. This government is inept and corrupt. I surely couldn't afford or desire to build a manufacturing assembly here. Too many government entities robbing you blind.

As for automobiles, most ASIAN and EUROPEAN cars are assembled here while FORD and GM went to MEXICO.

As for buying CHI-COM, it is about all that is available readily unless you want to spend countless hours on the net. Retailers are there to make a buck, not worry about their customer base.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
              Experienced
              • Jul 29 2010

You know I can understand how you guys feel I see it up here in Canada . The group of guys I chum with in the local car club pretty well all drive imports and joke with me . My answer is I believe strongly in supporting the North American market and not buying off shore . I buy FORD and only FORD . I totally disagree with GM being bailed out and being allowed to use that money to set-up in china and other countries. That should have been a STIPULATION in the hand-out that ALL money be reinvested in GM in North America for jobs HERE !!!!! This upsets me !!!!!!!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Gentlemen, do you know what the production numbers were for China vs. North America last year? Yes, I will include Mexico because when you see the REAL stat's, Mexico is a drop in the bucket.

I want to know how many cars GM and Ford made in both places. I think you will both be astounded. Then you will realize where the corporate profits come from.

Again, when you buy anything, corporations want to be there to produce what you are buying. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Here's a hint: China expects to hit 20,800,000 cars this year alone.

I purposely included the Japanese manufacturers in the North American production numbers.

Even though China doesn't have the roads, they have outsold NA for many years straight. BTW, the last auto show in NY featured a CHINESE car. They're here. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Unfortunately - in my new 4X4 Ford Ranger (which have been discontinued here in the US) - the V6 engine was made in Germany and the transmission in France. All installed and built here in Missouri but still......

I agree on the bail-outs Ian.

Eric

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

The fall of Communism preceeded all this.

I wonder if all those against communism realised th implications of its downfall? (Maybe some astute businessmen did...)

As long as the Asian/Chinese etc workers are paid less than those in the West this collapsing of Western manufacturers will continue...
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 29 2010

I realize and understand that many of the components used in new car assembly lines are produced out of country that we are not going to get away from that situation . But to my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong Fords are built here whether in the United States or Canada with the profits reinvested in Ford as a whole . Ford does produce cars in China and other countries ,but they are sold in those markets and not in North America . General Motors quite the opposite producing cars in Foreign countries (China mainly) and selling them in the North American market , I wonder how they divide their profits . Other car manufacturers (Toyota , Nisson and others) established in North American production assembly lines , do employ our work force but one can garantee all profits return to the mother land . Ian M Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Ian M Greer
                          ...Fords are built here whether in the United States or Canada with the profits reinvested in Ford as a whole ...
                          Ford sells a good number of cars in Canada AND they re-invest the money IN CANADA by building car plants and hiring many thousands of Canadians. Ford and GM both, maintain a lot of manufacturing facilities throughout Canada. Windsor Engine Plant has always been Ford's best engine producer. When a Canadian Ford plant closes, Ford always opens another to take its place, as soon as possible. I've experienced this situation many times.

I don't know exactly how GM and Ford are harvesting profits in China. I know GM was there long before Ford and I know China rolls all those companies into one 'state' company. That way the government can automatically share technology within the company. I understand at first, GM could build cars but not take profits out of China. I am sure that has changed, now that China is freely trading with the world.

As I said, New York's Auto Show featured a Chinese car for the first time. It was on display and it was for sale in the USA. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎