X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Brake Light Fuse?

There is a fuse in a Green wire coming from the ignition switch. When I removed the fuse, it disabled my Brake Lights.

A Brake light fuse doesn't show in the owners manual. The fuse that I have in there now is -- you guessed it, 25 Amps (again).

Can someone tell me if this fuse is supposed to be there, and what is the proper amps for the fuse.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

That fuse is way to big. be careful. It's in the owners manual.
    It doesn't show it but it tells what all the fuses are. can't get to mine right now to let you know. somthin is tellin me 7.5
    Happy holidays to everyone here. and many more......bill

Comment

sorry,the shop manual says the stop lights are integral with the headlight switch and are a circut breaker. I see the picture of a green wire with fuse coming from the ignition
      in the wireing manual but not sure were it goes.

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

Bill:

You're right on both.

The Electrical manual (page 27) shows the fuse on the Green wire on the Ignition Switch. That wire goes to the brake lights because when I took the fuse out, the brakes lights didn't work. BUT, it doesn't say what the amps are on the fuse.

Then the Shop Manual (page 12-39) says that the brake lights are integral with the headlight switch circuit breaker. That isn't right because the Green wire to the Brake lights are on the Ignition Switch.

The only way to know is if someone pulled that fuse, and knows what it is. Or, if someone knows what the amp load is to trip the circuit breaker on the headlight switch.

Anyone done that, or know?

(I'm not being paranoid here -- this guy wired my bird for house current with 25 and 30 amp fuses all over the place, so I'm going through them one by one)
        Last edited by bcomo; December 18, 2007, 08:38 PM.
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• 6TB1RD
          Experienced
          • Apr 9 2006

Bart:
          Does the fuse holder looks to be stock ?

I looked in the Shop manual and it shows the Park, Tail, Dash & stop lights are a circuit breaker built in to the head light switch.

And unfortunately none of my wiring diag. shows the in line fuse',

my 1960 owners manual dose not show a separate fuse for the stop lights.
          George (Papa of 9)
          1960 H/T :rolleyes:
          Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
          sigpic

Comment

• LuckyJay
            • Jan 4 2007

Below is a post from an earlier thread that I wrote.

I too have had the pleasure (and much sweat and some blood) of finding the mysterious undocumented SFE 14 amp fuse inline from the ignition switch to (#18 green wire) the stop light switch on the master cylinder. Only to wonder why did the fuse blow. I jumpered the stop switch and measured about 8 amps with my trusty old Simpson 260 VOM. So, fusing it at 14 amps seems reasonable. Then I wasted 2 perfectly good SFE 14s only to find that the stop light switch had developed an internal short to ground. $9.83 at the local CarQuest made all well again.

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Wildcat15:

So, that's what it is !!!!

That fuse shows clearly in the 60 shop manual on page 12-11 Fig 27 right side.

I'll replace that 25 Amp with a 14 Amp.

You wouldn't happen to know where the Blower Motor Fuse is -- would you?
              Last edited by bcomo; December 19, 2007, 09:37 AM.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• LuckyJay
                • Jan 4 2007

Yes, I see that in the picture you've pointed to, but it does not say what that in-line fuse is for. I'm still looking for the Heater blower fuse.

Comment

For what this is worth. my 66 has a 15 amp breaker on the stop lights. It,s alot more clear in this shop manual. Plus it has a fuse box not fuses running al over the place. I,m going to keep readin and find out what that should be. Those wireing diagrams are a bear to figure out.

Comment

As to the heater fuse it looks like that is in the wire from the ign. switch. sfe-14 . that,s what the book says page 12-39

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Yes. Without A/C the fuse is a SFE-14 from the ignition switch. Thanks tbirds8
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎