X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Disc Brake Conversion

Anyone have any comments on this one I found on Ebay??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mara...669235&vxp=mtr
    Nyles
    Last edited by YellowRose; November 26, 2014, 11:43 PM. Reason: I made it a clickable link by using the Blue Icon above
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

More info directly from the Wildwood web site.
    1960 Ford Thunderbird AllPart No: 140-13653-R, brakes, disc brakes, big brakes, bbk, brake conversion kit, bolt-on brake kits, front brakes, calipers, axle flange, housing, rotors, dynalite, dynapro, superlite, d52

JMHO - I'm sure specialty aluminum calipers work but I wouldn't want them on a street car.
    In a racing application maybe - where weight is a issue and sponsors money could replace them before every race - but not on a street vehicle.

Wonder if you can even get rebuild kits for the calipers? I didn't see them listed on their web site. Certainly not from NAPA or other major parts stores - you would be at the mercy of Wildwood.

You have to remember too - after you put the calipers on - the master cyl is not designed for calipers but drum wheel cyls so it needs replacing.....along with splitting the brake system, adding a proportioning valve, coming up with the right flex hoses to interface the Wildwood caliper to the OEM Ford line etc.

I've just never liked the terminology "kit" when all that is included are rotors and brackets. I guess it is a "kit" but just not what I imagine. At least this one doesn't advertise that it's a "complete disc brake conversion kit" like others I've seen.

"and clear most 14" OEM wheels"

Seems like Wildwood would do their homework and let you know for sure whether the OEM wheels will or will not work. The fact that they do not - tells me they haven't completed a conversion or had good feedback from someone who has.....makes you wonder. And no pictures installed on a car - more proof of just selling parts.....

Fairly decent shipping price!

Eric

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disc Brake Conversion

Eric, thank you for your post regarding this subject. Nyles, Eric is correct when he states that the disc brake conversion will NOT work with 14" OEM rims. Myself and a number of others on here have gone through the front disc brake conversion process. We went out and found 14" rims off a 70's Ford Granada, or Lincoln, or other already equipped disc brake Ford car at salvage yards. If you have not read all the disc brake conversion information that we put together for our Paid Membership, and you are one, please go to the Members Conference for Paid Members, and go through all that. As I recall there is a list there of what year Fords to look for that are already disc brake equipped. I grabbed five disc brake ready rims off a 70's Granada. The reason why I got all five of them was so that it did not matter if I had to rotate tires or use the spare, all 5 rims would work on the front, instead of just having to rely on only the spare. The equipment we used is a tried and true way to go and it works. My '59 and other Squarebird owners have gone this route with excellent results.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Steer clear of 4-piston calipers. They don't offer any advantage over single piston calipers except they use more parts. OEMs use single piston for a good reason. They are more reliable because less parts means fewer things that can go wrong.

Another point is, try not to get an erector set for caliper brackets. I use and like the Scarebird brackets because they are one piece that bolts directly to your OEM spindles. Again, fewer things to go wrong.

Scarebird brackets hold S-10 calipers and pads. Every auto parts store across the US has them in stock and usually in different compounds, so it's your choice.

Aftermarket 14" steel wheels fit Scarebird/S-10 setups (like Marcello's):

BTW, these are 11" Mustang rotors. They use your original T-bird bearings and grease seals.

Everything you see here is new including the 'dog dish' hubcaps, 14" wheels and tires. Stunningly simple and beautiful, isn't it?

14" Ranger wheels fit. Simply look for Ford wheels that came off of a disk brake car. All 15" wheels fit, too.

Most folks want their Squarebird to look bone stock but they need a safe ride. Electric wipers are hidden and so are disk brakes, especially if you use your sunburst original hub caps. The end result from changing to disk brakes is astounding. - Dave
        Last edited by simplyconnected; November 27, 2014, 03:13 PM.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎