X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Edelbrock 1405 secundary adjustment

I bought a repair kit for the Edelbrock 1405 on my Bird. Put the new parts/seals in there, and at the end they tell to check the secundary throttle valve adjustment. The secundaries should start to open when the primary is 13/32" open (10 mm). The secundaries already started to open at 6/32", so made the adjustment to the input rod. Now when i put the accelerator to the floor, the secundaries won´t open even a bit. I have a non standard (but old looking) and partly home made accelerator mechanism, which most probably is the problem. I related some time ago already a too high pedal force needed.
    Does someone has a picture(s) of the complete accelerator mechanism, to see which part(s) i´m missing? I will see if Carl has the missing parts.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

This is a 352 with a Holley 80457 / 4160 carb and original linkage.

Hope it helps.

Eric

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Thanks for the pictures Eric. Is there just a solid rod going down to the pedal, or did i see somewhere a type of a quadrant half way down?
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Frango100
        I bought a repair kit for the Edelbrock 1405 on my Bird. Put the new parts/seals in there, and at the end they tell to check the secundary throttle valve adjustment. The secundaries should start to open when the primary is 13/32" open (10 mm). The secundaries already started to open at 6/32", so made the adjustment to the input rod. Now when i put the accelerator to the floor, the secundaries won´t open even a bit. I have a non standard (but old looking) and partly home made accelerator mechanism, which most probably is the problem. I related some time ago already a too high pedal force needed.
        Does someone has a picture(s) of the complete accelerator mechanism, to see which part(s) i´m missing? I will see if Carl has the missing parts.

If it's anything like a vacuum secondary Holley the secondary won't open just by cranking on the throttle if the motor is not running AND under load.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Frango100
          Thanks for the pictures Eric. Is there just a solid rod going down to the pedal, or did i see somewhere a type of a quadrant half way down?
          There are 3 adjustments, throttle rod, pedal linkage and transmission linkage.
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Originally posted by scumdog

If it's anything like a vacuum secondary Holley the secondary won't open just by cranking on the throttle if the motor is not running AND under load.
            The secondaries on the edelbrock 1405 are mechanically connected to the primaries. Above the secondaries throttle blades there are air valves, which only open when there is air flow. But the secondaries should open normally and the linkage can be seen from the outside.
            sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎