Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Well I got a new fuel pump. The other one was getting fuel to it but just wasn't pushing it up to the carb. Hopefully I can get that installed this week and give it another shot.

I'm still concerned about the pressure building in the gas tank. I confirmed I do have a vented gas cap but it doesn't seem to vent anything. By the end of the day there's a bunch of pressure built up. What's the proper way to fix this problem?

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

1) buy a new correct cap
      2) don't tighten it which would be OK for test drives and around the block
      3) drill a 1/16" hole through it

Comment

• Hazegray53
        Apprentice
        • Jan 9 2015

I thought I did buy a correct cap. What's the difference between the vented cap I have and a correct vented cap? And where do I get one? I also bought a second vented cap that is supposed to fit but the tabs don't go deep enough. Drill a hole? Is that how the factory would fix this problem with a tank that doesn't have any vent?

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

If you bought the cap at the local parts store, there is a good probability it may not be correct, as evidenced by the second one you bought that doesn't fit properly. One of our Thunderbird specific parts suppliers should have a correct one.

No, drilling a hole is not how the factory would do it, but it would be a quick backyard mechanic fix to circumvent the issue. I am having a hard time understanding how pressure is building up in this tank for you when you can't be driving the car since:
          The other one was getting fuel to it but just wasn't pushing it up to the carb.
          With very limited run time, the only way I can think pressure can build up is by extreme temperature changes - like having the cap off when very cold and tightening it and then opening it when it is very hot for a day. What is causing the pressure to build up??

Comment

• Hazegray53
            Apprentice
            • Jan 9 2015

Honestly I wish I understood what was going on. The car is sitting in the garage while I'm fumbling through these problems to get it started up. I have been leaving the cap on and there's probably a 20 deg temp change from day to night.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Even with a vented cap all the old Fords that I've had build up pressure. It seems to be more prevalent in hot weather. It never seemed to effect the way the cars ran.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Hazegray53
                Apprentice
                • Jan 9 2015

Update! Apparently I need professional help. New fuel pump seems to be working great. That's one problem down. I guess I won't worry about the fuel tank pressure right now. It has been extra warm lately. I double triple checked that I was at TDC on the compression stroke and that the distributor rotor is pointed at number one on the rotor cap as well as checking my firing order (15426378). I turn her over and she seems to start up for a few seconds but just spits out the carb enough that it blows the choke plate wide open and dies. I have no clue where to go from here. Please help!

Comment

• Hazegray53
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 9 2015

Final update on this thread. I was backwards on my timing. I was aiming for 6deg after TDC when I thought I was aiming at 6 deg btdc. All is good. Now that it runs it seems to want to kick into reverse. That'll be a new thread unless I can figure it out.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to see that you got the timing sorted out. If the car slips into reverse try adjusting the manual linkage.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Hazegray53
                      Final update on this thread. I was backwards on my timing. I was aiming for 6deg after TDC when I thought I was aiming at 6 deg btdc. All is good. Now that it runs it seems to want to kick into reverse. That'll be a new thread unless I can figure it out.
                      Wow, it is a wonder you didn't have some overheating issues with the timing that much retarded!
                      Still, it's good that you've sorted it out, onto the next problem!
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Hazegray53
                        Apprentice
                        • Jan 9 2015

Well the thing wouldn't stay on long enough to heat up. I adjusted the linkage as suggested so I'm good to go. I didn't have that set up right either so it had room to pop itself into reverse. Just need to work on some carb adjustments and I should be able to take a test drive around the block. Can't say thank you enough for all the help I get here.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎