X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I am concerned about two things:

"This is a self-exciting alternator." I hope not. I hope it only produces power when the GEN light is connected and the key is on.

There is no mention of a fuse or proper size battery wire. If this alt puts out over 100-amps you need #2-AWG stranded copper wire, fused for 125-amps.

- Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Simply put, one wires are meant for farm tractors, not automotive. Most are wary of a charging harness but it is not that daunting.

The MOTORCRAFT 3G upgrade is the truth or you can have your 1G upgraded fairly reasonably if you want to retain origionality.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
        Experienced
        • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        I am concerned about two things:

"This is a self-exciting alternator." I hope not. I hope it only produces power when the GEN light is connected and the key is on.

There is no mention of a fuse or proper size battery wire. If this alt puts out over 100-amps you need #2-AWG stranded copper wire, fused for 125-amps.

- Dave
        On the top of the instructions it mentions “65amp alternator”. I figured they just stuck the same installation instructions for all their conversion kits. Can I tell by looking at the case what kind of alternator this is? I thought a single wire alternator just had the one mounting stud that went to the battery. This one has another two wires (white and red) that plug into the back of the alternator. This setup cost me $30 more than the one concourse advertises on their site. I won’t be too happy if they sold me the same thing for more money!
        VTCI# 11860
        58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58

On the top of the instructions it mentions “65amp alternator”. I figured they just stuck the same installation instructions for all their conversion kits.

Can I tell by looking at the case what kind of alternator this is?
          On a OEM ALT, the amperage is stamped. On a rebuilt or aftermarket, this will not be true. You will have to measure amperage output with a multi-meter under load.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2011

Some local parts stores can check it.
            Jim
            Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎