Disc Brake Conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdoehne
    • Jan 19 2013

I have read the thread on doing the disc brake conversions and am having trouble coming up with a clear cut for sure way of doing the conversion. I was thinking about the Granada but there are not any available to me. And i'm not worried about having to do a front end alignment or having to use a little bigger wheels. Anyways, I was just wondering what is the best way to make the switch and if anyone who has recently done this come up with an accurate parts list?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Yes, at least five of our members are running power disk brakes. The reason it isn't 'in stone' is because this job can be done a few different ways. I have NO preference but I let the money do the talking. My '55 Ford has Granada spindles and calipers. My '59 has Scarebird brackets with S-10 calipers and Mustang rotors. They both stop equally as well.

I suggest you become a paid member to access more on this subject OR glean the info from searching this thread.

Brake work isn't like changing your muffler or shocks. It requires a good degree of understanding brake systems. The work is relatively easy but your plumbing and setup adjustments must be right. All inverted flares must be good, which isn't hard but they must be double checked and re-done when necessary. After having all the parts on the job, set aside a Saturday unless you have already plumbed a brake system. When done, this job is VERY gratifying and rewarding. The payoff is huge. - Dave
      Last edited by simplyconnected; April 5, 2013, 01:34 AM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lexdownunder
        Apprentice
        • Sep 7 2010

Hi Guys
        Finally have the disc brake conversion completed & the bottom line is....it is just amazing the difference a decent brake system makes. I actually feel safe knowing I now have such improved stopping power.

Just to summarize the components I used:

ABS 8" booster & dual m/c (disc/drum) ABS Stock No 9787, Item No 270556931229.
        This booster/m/c is designed for the '59 TBird with a/con. It comes complete with the bracket & is set to the correct angle so it clears the a/c unit etc. It also has the extended pedal rod so basically is a straight "bolt on" item.

Scarebird brackets Part No GXY.

Scarebird also supplied GM-S10 loaded calipers & brake hoses to suit

Rock Auto supplied '68 Mustang rotors. Part No 397 6006R.

By using the Scarebird brackets & Mustang rotors, I retained the OEM spindles & bearings.

As I said in an earlier thread, I was lucky & found suitable 14" disc brake ready rims at a local tyre fitting shop but I have no idea what vehicle they were off. They were just marked as Ford 14". The rims just touched the top of the caliper but a VERY small grind to the caliper fixed the problem. Rims fit perfect & I was able to have my existing tyres fitted to the new rims. Nice cost saver there!!

Had two pipes made for the new M/C & fitted a mechanical brake light switch to the pedal.

I can't take credit for any of this work. It was all done by my mechanic mate. He usually does Mustangs & has done many disc brake conversions on them but this was his first go with a Thunderbird.
        An excellent job too!!!!

My thanks to all the members who have helped me with this conversion & given me priceless information that pointed me in the right direction.
        I know there are many threads on this site re disc brake conversion & so many options & I hope that the info I have supplied here might be of assistance to other members.
        Thanks again guys

Lex

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

That's really great to hear Lex.

I remember very well the first drive after doing my conversion - what a difference.

Hope you enjoy you car for many years to come.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by lexdownunder
            ....it is just amazing the difference a decent brake system makes. I actually feel safe knowing I now have such improved stopping power...
            The payoff is huge, isn't it?
            Your conversion is very much like (but different from) many of our members' conversions. You used ABS, which is fine. They make a firewall bracket for Squarebirds that can not be found anywhere else.

Like Eric, I am glad you have great braking and a much safer car. That's what this forum is all about. Thank You so much for posting your results. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• toddgilroy
              Experienced
              • Aug 30 2014

I hope it was a bountiful trip to the local U-Pull-It this morning. I was surprised to find a Ford Ranger with all 4 rims still on it, then found a 5th for a spare. A little time in the sandblaster and they should clean up well. Hoping they work out size-wise...or I will have to try to recoup some of my $90.

Also came across this website for rim size help.
              http://www.wheelhelp.com/Ford_Bolt_Patterns.htm
              Attached Files
              Todd Gilroy
              1960 Tbird Convertible
              Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have a set of them myself. They fit just fine.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disc Brake Conversion

Are they 14" rims? What year Ranger did they come off of? Do they have the mounting nubs on the ring around the bolt holes? If they do, should you want to go the dog dish route, as I did, you are in luck. If they don't and you wanted to use dog dish hubcaps, you are outta luck. It looks like a pretty good find. Even better if they are 15" rims and you have tires for 15" rims.. The 14" disc brake ready rims that Howard and I have from a 70's disc brake ready Granada, just barely clear the disc brake set up, but they do... Here is a pic with my Ford dog dish and 14" beauty ring in place.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; February 21, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• toddgilroy
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 30 2014

They are 14" rims off of a 1993 Ranger with front disc brakes. My 60 TBird came with 4 stock hubcaps, 3 of which are in pretty nice shape. I plan to stick with those, and may add the sun ray emblem at some point.

I am going to order the Scarebird brackets, the rotors, calipers, etc., and make sure everything fits before I spend too many hours cleaning, priming and painting these.

My original rims are in pretty good shape so I might put those up for sale to offset some of the cost of upgrading to discs, and the tires that were on the car are at least 12 year old. Sooo...
                    Todd Gilroy
                    1960 Tbird Convertible
                    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎