X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeVars
    • May 24 2010

Exhaust Schematic

Hi
    Can anyone post an exhaust schematic for my 1961?
    Is it the same for a 1963?
    I may need to have a complete exhaust from manifold to muffler installed. I am told the 63 system is better.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Joe
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

I'm not well versed in the 61-63 Thunderbirds, however the cars differ in single vs dual exhaust. Hopefully someone else will know the specifics if that matters. Chances are the person you where talking to meant to purchase the Dual Exhaust system.

1962-63 M-Code 3x2 carbs, had different exhaust manifolds. Don't know these details either, this may be reason to mention better exhaust. Than again you'd have to buy the manifolds along with the pipes if this is the case.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• ozbird
      Apprentice
      • Sep 21 2009

hi Joe,

please check your workshop manual, from memory there are schematics of the different exhaust layouts.

Graeme

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

There are minute but significant differences between the '61-'63 systems dependant upon which engine/induction system is installed.

'61 and '62 4v 'Birds used a dual exhaust system with an H-pipe and resonators. 1-3/4" dia tubing was used for the exhaust system, with flat flanges at the exhaust manifold connections and round cross-section mufflers under the outboard areas of the trunk. This is illustrated in the '61 and '62 T-bird Shop Manuals.

'62-'63 6v 'Birds used a dual exhaust system with an H-pipe and resonators. 2" dia tubing was used for the system, again with flat flanges at the exhaust manifold connections and round cross-section mufflers under the outboard areas of the trunk.

'63 4v 'Birds came standard with a single exhaust system with 2-1/4" dia tubing, a Y-pipe, no resonators and an oval cross-section muffler mounted over the rear axle housing. '63 4v pipes abandoned the flat flanges and relied on clamps over the flared end of the pipe to hold it against the exhaust manifolds. Tapered asbestos "donuts" provided the seal between the pipe and the manifold. Needless to say, exhaust hangers are radically different from the dual setups noted above.

Supposedly a dual exhaust system was offered as an option on '63 4v cars, but I have yet to see specific factory parts listings for it. The 4v exhaust manifolds for '63-up have a conical taper at the outlet end for the donuts to seal against, while the '61-2 4v and '62-3 6v manifolds have a flat face for the flange and a flat gasket to fit against. T-bird parts vendors do offer a "hybrid" H-pipe which will have the flared inlets for the donuts which can be used with the 4v manifolds.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

My hat goes off to GTE427 and Alan Tast because they really know their stuff. I depend on the books because I need to.

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ozbird
            Apprentice
            • Sep 21 2009

Hi Joe,

you have scored some extra special treatment, I knew about most of the facts that Alan responded with but could not have documented them as well.

I have just recently put on a new exhaust, very close to original layout but 2" pipes and hidden tips, pretty sure they were hidden when new....but I don't know everything!!! ;-)

All the best with it.

Graeme

Comment

• JoeVars
              • May 24 2010

Thank You!

OMG! I really appreciate your help!
              Joe

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰