Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Nyles, I don't know why mine did not lock into place. According to the picture, these spring-loaded stops should have dropped into the depressions right in front on this picture:

I did read the Service Manual and it does agree with your findings.

As a side note, these starter motors can be mounted with the teeth engaged. The starter motor in my site is and has been in service on our '59 Y-Block for years. - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; March 29, 2016, 10:03 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Dave:
      I was fighting it for a while to reinstall the starter when I found the info on getting the drive to retract. Wiggling the starter back in is pretty tight and when the drive gear was engaged it would get close but not slip in. Maybe I gave up to easily. All good once I got the drive retracted.
      Since we all struggle with so many of the same problems, it's great to have this site to share info.
      Nyles

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Thanks for the complement, Scott. I once knew a gracious and beautiful woman who was from Vancouver Island. She was Howard Prout's wife, Jean Prout. I used to call her, 'a real Canadian girl.'
        Hey Dave, I can see Vancouver Island from my window!
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm in Detroit (where Canada is one mile away across the Detroit River). I love Canada and I love the woods but I also love my handguns, so I don't go there much anymore. I won't go in the woods without a sidearm.

Sorry but, GO DETROIT RED WINGS!

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

I'm in Detroit (where Canada is one mile away across the Detroit River). I love Canada and I love the woods but I also love my handguns, so I don't go there much anymore. I won't go in the woods without a sidearm.

Sorry but, GO DETROIT RED WINGS!
            What's a handgun????

lol, I live literally 12 blocks from a US border. You can have the Wings, I gave up on the Canucks years ago. but Go Patriots
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Ickaber
              Apprentice
              • Mar 22 2013

I know how. CLICK HERE
              Follow the instructions on each page.
              - Dave
              Dave, what happened to your starter rebuild instructions? The link doesn't work anymore.
              Last edited by simplyconnected; March 29, 2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Scott:
                Whenever Dave posts, there is a link at the bottom of the post for an FE roller cam etc. If you click on that post, it will open and much of the rebuild info is there including the starter overhaul. I found out the hard way when I needed the info on the rocker assemblies.
                Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Scott, try it now. I had to move the site, now I have to fix all the links.

Comcast deleted all personal web pages for all their customers. That was a 'deal breaker' for me. After many years with Comcast, I said, 'biddy-bye-bye' to them. Robin said I should have done it a long time ago because there is no such thing as 'customer/company loyalty' outside of profits.

Let's see how AT&T pans out... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ickaber
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 22 2013

Thanks, Dave, it's working now. And, of course, there's a reason I was asking. The $40 rebuilt starter I put in last year only lasted a few months before going out. I don't know what was wrong with it, but it wouldn't turn the engine. So, I took it out and took it back in to O'Reilly, they tested it as bad as well, and then they covered it under the lifetime warranty, even though the one I had is no longer in their system. They gave me one they did have that was normally $116 for no charge.

So that was all good, until I grabbed the drive and spun it while it was still sitting on the counter in the parts store and locked the drive out. (And then immediately read the bright orange sticker that says not to or you'll void your warranty.)

I wasn't worried though, and came straight home and logged on to squarebirds.org knowing that you guys would help me solve my idiocy. (Well, there's probably not really a cure for it -- I've had it for a long time. ) But then I came across this thread where Nyles was nice enough to point out the youtube video on how to reset it. I was fortunate enough to have taken the drive off my old starter before buying the new one last year, so still had that. It was already locked out, so I decided to play with it first before taking the drive off the new starter motor. Unfortunately, the wire wheel in the drill trick didn't work, no matter which way I spun it.

So I started looking closer and found that on the drive -- this is from a '63 -- if I held it at just the right angle, in just the right light, I thought I could see the pin. So I got out an old dental hook and was able to push the pin back in and spin the drive back up by hand -- you just have to get the initial edge past the pin. It worked on both the drive that was off the starter motor as well as the one that was on the new starter motor. It may not work on all of these types of drives, but worked on both of the ones I had for my bulletbird.

Here are a couple of pics to show where I was looking. I hope it helps someone else. The pin is just below the surface in the red box and slides to the outside of the casing.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

I've had these starters out of my Y-blocks and FEs, both with the drive pulled out. I never had an issue mounting and running the starter motor with the drive gear out. That is why I did not cover this issue.

Why on earth would that void your warranty? It is a normal function of the starter drive gear.

With your permission, I will include your work-around in my site for others to find more easily (since our search engine is poor). Ok, Scott? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ickaber
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 22 2013

Absolutely okay, Dave. As much as you (and others here) have helped me, a couple of pics is the least I can offer. Feel free to download the pics and use them as you see fit. I'll even send you the originals, if you'd prefer.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

I also locked my starter drive and that is what prompted me to find a way to "unlock" it. Maybe I was lucky, but I played with mine several times and was always able to get it unlocked by spinning it fast enough. It will be good to document another method. If the starter drive is locked in the engaged position, there is virtually no way you are going to get the starter back in.
                          Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Ickaber
                            Absolutely okay, Dave. As much as you (and others here) have helped me, a couple of pics is the least I can offer. Feel free to download the pics and use them as you see fit. I'll even send you the originals, if you'd prefer.
                            Check it out now, Scott. Click on the blue (Bendix Gear) button when it loads. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ickaber
                              Apprentice
                              • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                              If the starter drive is locked in the engaged position, there is virtually no way you are going to get the starter back in.
                              Nyles
                              This was my experience as well, Nyles. I tried to put it back in with the drive extended, but just couldn't get it to go. Once I "unlocked" it, it slid right in.

Check it out now, Scott. Click on the blue (Bendix Gear) button when it loads. - Dave
                              Looks good, Dave! The attribution was unnecessary, but appreciated. I hope someone else finds it and it helps them. The advantage I see to just pushing the pin in is that the drive doesn't need to be off the starter. And it only takes a few seconds. When I was putting my starter in after unlocking it, I must have caught the top edge of the drive on something as I pushed it in, because I couldn't get it to seat, so pulled it back out and found that I had somehow extended and locked the drive again. I grabbed the hook, unlocked it, and was back in business.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎