X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Oil Pan Removal

Hi - Since my last post regarding oil pressure it became necessary to fit a new oil pump . I have read previous posts with regard to this problem but I'm finding that I cant get the engine to raise at all . I have removed the engine mounting nuts (not those attaching the mounts to the engine),removed the flexible fuel line,A/C hoses,and coolant hoses so that in theory there should be nothing binding.I also slackened the rear mounting bolts.When I try to jack the engine up using a wooden plate under the sump the whole car raises on its suspension - so I guess these sumps are pretty strong .I have tried raising and lowering the engine several times and also rocked it from side to side on its mounts but absolutely no upward movement when jacked-What am I doing wrong please?Would an engine crane make any difference?

Best wishes

Peter
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: Oil Pan Removal

Hi Peter,

When I did this procedure, I thought the exact same thing...
    The deal is that the engine weighs so much, it looks like the whole car is being raised when you lift it. In fact, it is the suspension being "unsprung" when the weight of the engine is removed.

All you gotta do is get a nice tall jack and keep lifting!

Eventually, the engine will lift clear of the frame and you can insert some wood blocks to hold it up.
    It just takes more jacking and lifting than you expect.

Casey
    '60 hardtop
    Casey

Comment

• newyear
      Experienced
      • Jan 4 2005

Great stuff - Will try again . Feel like an idiot though - Doh!
      Peter

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

don't feel like an idiot....

The only thing I've learned for sure about these cars is that nothing is as easy as it should be...

That's the best thing about this forum - it's a great place to get advice and information.

I've asked a LOT of questions that have "obvious" answers once someone else answers them.
        hang in there!

Casey
        Casey

Comment

WOW. I logged on to make the exact same post, so yeah dont feel like an idiot!
          Its become time for mine to have a new oilpan. My engine also wont seem to clear, and the whole car lifts. So I will try a higher jack for sure. I was just on the verge of renting an engine crane too.

Where is the best jacking point? Thanx

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

All I did was remove the engine mount nuts, block the wheels, and place a nice big jack under the flat part of the oil pan. I had a 2x6 on the jack to distribute the load.

Then, when the motor mounts were high enough off the frame I placed 2x4 wood blocks between the motor and the frame.

Then, slowly lower the engine to rest on the blocks and you should be able to remove the oil pan pretty easily.

I didn't have to disconnect any hoses or lines or anything.

Casey
            60 hardtop
            Casey

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎