X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

Vacuum wiper motor control cable

Does anyone have some detailed pictures of the way the control cable connects to the vacuum motor? I'm talking the cable from the operator wiper switch to the motor that has the retention screw on the back. Thanks!
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

I found some pictures that Dave had posted of his 1959 Galaxie. It is similar, but the Galaxie used a mechanical cable for the windshield squirter and the Tbird uses a vacuum canister with a foot on it to allow the handcontrol squirt to automatically activate the wipers for a couple of cycles. All the vacuum motors I've found are very similiar, but the cables attach a little differently. Thanks!
    sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

It's all '58-9 T-bird...

You got a PM, Jim.

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

Thanks, Dave

It look like my vacuum motor is slightly different from the picture, but my replacement motor and the one that was on the Tbird are identical. I think I have it installed correctly although the cable housing may be pulled back too much allowing the inner cable to be pinched by the retention bolt. I'll try again to adjust it so I get some movement from the control cable. Which way is on? Counterclockwise on the control is off and it comes on by rotating it clockwise? Thanks!
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know if their still here or not but there were complete instructions with pictures on how to remove and replace these goofy wiper systems. I think i printed them out just have to find them.

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

Yes, the instructions are still there and the last page is a picture of the back side of the motor. It isn't a very high resolution picture so making out the details of the smaller parts is difficult. A full-resolution picture would help.
            sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

I got the control cable hooked up properly this weekend. I think that was the most difficult thing I've done on the Thunderbird. Got the cables hooked back up and everything reassembled. The wipers work great and move pretty fast. How do you adjust the parking position of the vacuum wipers?
              sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

I found the answer that Alexander posted about 4 years ago. Run the vacuum wipers and turn them off as this is the new park position, the same as you do for electrics. Remove the wiper arms and set them to where you want them. Interestingly, the new motor has a different park position than the old one that I didn't expect. I assumed they would be the same. The passenger side is pretty close, but driver side is almost 1/4 up the windshield.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎