water pump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

water pump

hi
    I am having trouble finding a rebuilt water pump for a 1960 thunderbird 352 motor. I am still running a generator and figured i needed the pump for that year. suggestions? what kind of trouble will i have with a later model such as a 1962?
    thanks
    mark
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: water pump

Any 332 to 428 FE water pump will mate up to the block. The problem is that there are differences are in length of the fan pulley shaft and the mounting holes for accessories. There are a myriad of types. You need to get a water pump for a 1958-1960 Thunderbird with a 352. I got mine from NAPA a few years ago. If you try the vendors at http://www.squarebirds.org/links_squarebirds.htm , they have them.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

You can put a newer water pump on ,but you have to change your generator mount brackets and get a newer fan pulley, plus a fan spacer. I did this when I installed my new engine (I didn't know that the pumps were different). It is not worth the effort. You can get a water pump from Macs that is for your car.

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT 390 cu in, Edelbrock RPM intake, shorty headers, two and one half inch exhaust and 3.70 rear gears...if you are going to go in style you might as well go fast
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• ruzzzell
        • Sep 28 2003

If you got a ebay account, you may want to get this one, it says it's for a 430, but maybe someone could clarify if it's the same one for the 352.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The 430 engine is from a different engine family than the 352, it is a Lincoln engine while the 352 is a FE (Ford-Edsel) engine. The water pumps will not interchange.

This is the 430 water pump:

This is a 352 water pump (it is from a 1965 and later, so the accessory mounting holes are different than the 1958-60 T-Bird, but compare how the pumps mate to the engine block):

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢