X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Front End Work Update

The work on my front end was completed this morning. We test drove the Bird yesterday, but the steering was hard. We found out that in changing power steering hose routings around, they lost a lot of fluid. He forgot to top off the fluid when he was finished. They did that, and it drives and steers well now.

When they can get it started, that is... Yesterday, while we were road testing it, the starter started giving us problems. It would not start. When it did start, it would not stop trying to start. It has done that a number of times today. I think that starter has not been replaced recently. It was not one of the things the previous owner told me that he had replaced. I am told that the starter is going/gone out on me and needs to be replaced.

May be a bad solenoid, or something else. They will find out. There is a local shop that is very good at rebuilding these old starters, so it looks like it is headed to that shop on Monday. As Bart recently told me, you take one thing off your list as being done, and something else turns up to take its place.

I have created a new web page for "Rose". It is completed, except for one picture from the front that I want to replace when I get her back to take another picture. I might add the starter work to it also before I publish it. You will see some of the pictures I have put on Photobucket on the web page, and an account of what all has been restored/improved/replaced on this Old Gal. I will let you know the URL when I am done.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Glad to hear it's done, too bad about the starter problems.

Originally posted by YellowRose
    When it did start, it would not stop trying to start.
    Be careful with that. In college, I had a 1980 Chevy Monza ... I'l wait for the laughter to die down ... I had a 1980 Chevy Monza that did the same thing. The starter overheated and ignited the oil that it was soaked in (the 'iron duke' was a leak-er). The fire put itself out, fortunately, but it caught fire again while it was in the shop getting that problem diagnosed.

No harm done either time, but I never did figure it out. I lived in Cinci and it was a stick, so I just parked on a hill every time and roll started it.

That car was possessed. When my wife and I were dating, the thermostat would stick open and there'd be no heat whenever she was in the car. Then there was the door hinge pins that were assembled from the bottom and would fall out as I drove ... Ah, memories.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Front End Work Update

Hi DGS!

Luckily, there is going to be, for all intents and purposes, a new starter going on Rose tomorrow. It has been completely rebuilt. Apparently, if I understand this, a gear in the Bendix starter, or inside, somewhere broke. So, hopefully, I won't have the problem you had with your Monza! I hope not!

As for a car being possessed, there is some thought that Rose might be also... Or maybe that is just because she is an old Thunderbird and the old adage of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" applies to her a lot. Just when I get something scratched off my to do list, something else pops up to go on the list... I would just like to be able to drive her for a bit, without wondering what is going to fall off or fail next! I should get it back tomorrow in very good working condition if all pans out. They are going to check my AC and put some more freon in it, if it needs it, and it probably does. It cools, but this is central Texas, where it stays in the mid to high 90's, and low 100's all summer long.

Gots to get to bed! I got a good laugh out of your possession story! Your wife probably didn't appreciate that though!

Good Birding!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Cars being possessed

Originally posted by dgs
        Glad to hear it's done, too bad about the starter problems.

Be careful with that. In college, I had a 1980 Chevy Monza ... I'l wait for the laughter to die down ... I had a 1980 Chevy Monza that did the same thing. The starter overheated and ignited the oil that it was soaked in (the 'iron duke' was a leak-er). The fire put itself out, fortunately, but it caught fire again while it was in the shop getting that problem diagnosed.

No harm done either time, but I never did figure it out. I lived in Cinci and it was a stick, so I just parked on a hill every time and roll started it.

That car was possessed. When my wife and I were dating, the thermostat would stick open and there'd be no heat whenever she was in the car. Then there was the door hinge pins that were assembled from the bottom and would fall out as I drove ... Ah, memories.

It's name wasn't Christine was it............? fantastic movie that one, watched it again the other night.

Bill
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• citadel
          • Feb 7 2008

Ray

I had the same problem with the car continuing to start (even after the key was switched back off) in an old mercury I have. It had a similar system to the thunderbird (an old fe 390). But what fixed the problem was a new solonoid. It had the separate solonoid mounted on the fenderwell with wires connected to the starter. Popped in a new solonoid and the problem just cleared right up! Hope this helps you.

Chris

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Front End Work Update

Hi Chris,

From one old retired Air Force guy to another military man, thank you for your service to your country. My oldest son is about to retire after a 30 years Air Force career. He is presently home from Afghanistan for a couple of weeks of R&R. He got home one day late to see the birth of his first granddaughter. As I talked with him this morning, he was holding her in his arms. He is the Command Chief Master Sergeant of all enlisted Air Force personnel in Afghanistan.

Now to my starter. It was a broken spring on the shaft that caused the problem they tell me. My mechanic showed me the broken piece. It has been replaced with one that is enclosed in metal. We have a really good starter rebuilder guy here in town who really knows his stuff, apparently. It has all new components in it. It is not the original starter I am told. That one probably bit the dust years ago. I do need to make sure they have checked the solenoid to make sure it is okay also. Thanks for the information and stay safe.

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by dgs
              I had a 1980 Chevy Monza ... I'l wait for the laughter to die down ... I had a 1980 Chevy Monza....
              LOVE that comment!
              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by Penelope
                It's name wasn't Christine was it............? fantastic movie that one, watched it again the other night.

Bill
                Well, I didn't name it Christine, but my wife liked to call it that. Hey, we dated in it and she still married me and it's been over 15 years!

Originally posted by YellowRose
                Just when I get something scratched off my to do list, something else pops up to go on the list... I would just like to be able to drive her for a bit, without wondering what is going to fall off or fail next!
                Welcome to owning an old car. I've found with mine, that the 'I can't drive it until I get that fixed' stuff tapers off, but the 'boy it'd be nice to have that fixed' stuff keeps piling up.

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                LOVE that comment!
                Thanks, most folks find the Monza and its older cousin the Vega comical little cars. I loved that car, probably because it was the first car that was really mine, not one that Dad bought for me. I always thought the Monza's were good looking little cars and it did handle well. It was a 4 cyl, so it was S L O W, but nimble, so still fun to drive. The engineering on that thing was less than stellar for sure, though. A lot less. Not GM's best work.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by dgs

Thanks, most folks find the Monza and its older cousin the Vega comical little cars. I loved that car, probably because it was the first car that was really mine, not one that Dad bought for me. I always thought the Monza's were good looking little cars and it did handle well. It was a 4 cyl, so it was S L O W, but nimble, so still fun to drive. The engineering on that thing was less than stellar for sure, though. A lot less. Not GM's best work.
                  When I was a young man, oh, yeah, I was once...., I saw all the Prostock and Funny car Monzas in different Amarican Car Magazines, AND LOVED EVERY ONE OF THEM! Also, Hot Rod Magazine spiced up one of them, and I always wanted one. But unfortunally they never reached Sweden. I think they was great. But on the other hand, I also liked the AMC Pacer......
                  sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎