X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

Rear spring shackles

Is there a Ford expert that can help me find the correct rear spring shackles for my 1958 Tbird. Before I bought the car the rear suspension was changed to leaf springs. Supposedly the rear end is a 9" Ford with a 1964 data code. I tried NAPA for a full sized Ford and they are too wide. They could not find a shackle that matches what is in this car. The specs are:
    Bolt size 1/2"
    Bushing outside diameter 7/8"
    Inside width 2 7/16"
    Distance between centers of bolts 2 1/2"

Does someone know a place where I can search for shackles this size?
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The fact that it's a Ford rear has nothing to do with the springs and shackles. If they are aftermarket springs you will probably not find the correct shackles and bushings listed under Ford. A 7/8" OD bushing does not sound like a standard Ford size. My suggestion is to search for companies that sell aftermarket springs and look through their catalogs. Unless your springs have a company name and part number it will probably take some searching to find the correct ones. Most companies that sell aftermarket springs will have shackle kits of various sizes.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; January 9, 2017, 03:40 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear spring shackles

Dennis, give Tom McVeigh (989) 826-3682 at McVeigh Truck Springs a call and tell him what you have. He might be able to help. They sell a lot of spring stuff for our Tbirds. Tell him that you are a member of Squarebirds.org Forum and I suggested you call him. Make sure you tell him it is a '58 Squarebird that had coil springs that was converted to leaf springs, like the '59 and '60 Squarebirds.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Buckaroo
        Experienced
        • Jul 24 2013

I went back and measured the inside of the spring eye and it is 13/16" The springs are 2" wide. It appears this rear end was put in as a unit and not custom springs. But I will check the custom spring websites. I was hoping on even finding a universal shackle the correct size, but no, luck yet. thsnks for the idea.
        Dena & Dennis Gorder
        1958 Coupe
        Registry # 3422

Comment

• Buckaroo
          Experienced
          • Jul 24 2013

If this is a clue at all, here is a photo of the rear spring hanger.
          Attached Files
          Dena & Dennis Gorder
          1958 Coupe
          Registry # 3422

Comment

• Buckaroo
            Experienced
            • Jul 24 2013

Thanks Ray, Tom is going through his bins to try to find something that matches the specs. I will let you know when I hear back from him. What would we do without you!

Happy New Year
            Dena & Dennis Gorder
            1958 Coupe
            Registry # 3422

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Buckaroo
              If this is a clue at all, here is a photo of the rear spring hanger.
              Looks very similar to the '58 Ford Custom 300 springs in my '37 Ford hot-rod only (from memory, will have to check!) the eyes are rolled upwards, not down like yours
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎