Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Why does your TEMP gage rest at 'hot'? I'm not critical but since you have the gauges out you may want to check it out. These King Seeley gauges are relatively easy to fix. There is no armature or pivot.

The Fuel should rest on "Empty" and the Temp should rest on "Cold".

1956 was the ONLY year Ford used 12-volt gauges. If you have problems finding one, use a '55 gauge with a CVR. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 840 840 840
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

That's a good question, I already asked, and was told they where good when tested last week and I know they where good when we tore the Bird down. But I'll pull them again and test again just to be sure because I did ask twice if they had been tested.
      Charley

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Charlie, both gauges are identical AND interchangeable. I have never seen a temp gauge that reads 'hot' with no power. Have you?

With all respect, I would have a serious discussion with the guy who 'tested' them. Here's a link to our site that discusses Ford gauges:

I have a '55 Customline with your cluster. All the gauges have a K-S mark on them, showing they were made by King-Seeley for Ford and for many decades. Squarebird gauges are exactly the same except they mounted both in the same housing and one is upside-down. The guts are all identical except, in '56 they used ni-chrome wire for 12-volts on the bi-metal strip. Ford quickly reverted back to six volts in '57 but they added a Constant Voltage Regulator for the gauges.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I used a red LED in that little hole for the upper beams. It worked out nicely. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 840 840 840
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2008

Slow going but started wiring dash and finding out what more we need to make this all work.

Comment

Thanks for posting your project! It is looking awesome and you are going to have one sweet ride to be proud of when you are done!

Comment

• 840 840 840
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2008

Thanks Larry your welcome to come by any time, I really build Model T's and late model iron, but come on by and I'll give you the two dollar tour, bring the kids and if the weather is nice we will give them a fire truck ride.

Comment

Originally posted by 840 840 840
                Thanks Larry your welcome to come by any time, I really build Model T's and late model iron, but come on by and I'll give you the two dollar tour, bring the kids and if the weather is nice we will give them a fire truck ride.
                Sounds good neighbor . Is this what you do for a living? Would love to see some more of your work.

Comment

• 840 840 840
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 30 2008

Yes Larry, I own Nichols Hills Paint and Body in OKC, just call and I'll show you our projects.
                  Charley

Comment

• 840 840 840
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 30 2008

Still working on dash getting every thing right and ready to plug in first try.
                    Here's the new radio sounds great with the dual voice coil speaker.

Charley

Comment

• bird 60
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 18 2009

She's coming along very nice Charles, I see some very straight lines on the dash.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Charles it appears that you have done this several times before. I know as I see in the pix the key, is in the ignition even though the dash is on the bench. Good Stuff
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Still working on dash getting every thing right and ready to plug in first try.
                          Here's the new radio sounds great with the dual voice coil speaker.

Charley
                          Looks good! I also went with a DVC speaker on my 58 for a factory look, but used a Ken Harrison radio, good sound even at high volumes.

Comment

• 840 840 840
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 30 2008

Hi! Larry
                            I went with the Antique Automobile Radio Inc., Model 313401 having never seen one before in person just pictures, as I was more concerned about appearance then function at the time of purchase and just liked the look and the fact you can just plug an I-Pod directly into the unit, as we are going to use the ash tray for storing the I-Pod and charging. When I first opened the box and took one look I knew it looked just like I thought, but was shocked by it's small size being only 2.5 X 2.5 X 9.0 I was taken aback just a little. But once we got it installed it made me really smile. Plays music through the custom autosound Model 3006 DVC Dual Voice Coil speaker like an Angel or Uncle Ted on Saturday Night.
                            And I must say the quality of the chrome, style, and the really high quality of the original look knobs really made my day. This was the first part we have purchased new for this car that we didn't have to rework to bring it up to the standard we have set for this car. We did rework the wiring harness just a little but that's really just me, it wasn't needed.
                            Charley

Comment

Hi! Larry
                              I went with the Antique Automobile Radio Inc., Model 313401 having never seen one before in person just pictures, as I was more concerned about appearance then function at the time of purchase and just liked the look and the fact you can just plug an I-Pod directly into the unit, as we are going to use the ash tray for storing the I-Pod and charging. When I first opened the box and took one look I knew it looked just like I thought, but was shocked by it's small size being only 2.5 X 2.5 X 9.0 I was taken aback just a little. But once we got it installed it made me really smile. Plays music through the custom autosound Model 3006 DVC Dual Voice Coil speaker like an Angel or Uncle Ted on Saturday Night.
                              And I must say the quality of the chrome, style, and the really high quality of the original look knobs really made my day. This was the first part we have purchased new for this car that we didn't have to rework to bring it up to the standard we have set for this car. We did rework the wiring harness just a little but that's really just me, it wasn't needed.
                              Charley

Nice clean install. Mine took a lot more work for the speaker because of the limited space between the speaker housing and center tunnel, nothing a 4 lb hammer couldn't solve . I put my usb/3.5 av in the ash tray as well, the rear ash tray houses a usb port for charging other devices.

FRONT

REAR

I just use a micro SD card and reader for all my tunes. But can also listen to music or any of a number of stations via my phone. Gotta love the new tech we have today. I remember as a kid if you wanted more selections, you only had two choice's, bigger antenna, or eight track tape player

Comment

• 840 840 840
                                Experienced
                                • Dec 30 2008

Well back at it this morning.
                                Installed rebuilt heater control and new cables in dash, insulation board for firewall and A/C & Heater through firewall plate, steering column gasket and plates.
                                Next electric wipers and defrost ducts, then heater/AC box.
                                Randall getting into the action, he builds all the detail parts.
                                Charley

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎