X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Howard Prout
    As far as I know, DB is the only option for 2 1/4" whitewalls, but they have to be special ordered. If you look at the DB web page, they show 225/70-14 with a 2 1/2" whitewall but there is a note saying that narrower whitewalls can be ordered.
    For us they made them the width we wanted, placement on the tire that we wanted, IE, I wanted the white wall a bit off the rim, and they actually suggested that would improve the longevity of the white wall? Of course there are limits to the adjustability of them, but we went with the widest white wall they could build with a quarter off the rim.

The downside of that, is you do have to wait for them to get done, I don't remember how long, but it didn't seem all the bad.

Comment

White Walls

Originally posted by Anders
      I choosed the same as "bird 60", the Cooker P225/75/14 Radial ( http://store.cokertire.com/p215-75r1...whitewall.html ), and I understand itīs the most "original" without going bias-ply. Works and looks fine. Very happy with them
      i LIKE THE SIZE OF THESE WHITE WALLS i THINK THIS IS AS WIDE AS i CAN GO. i THINK THE SMOOTHES HAVE TO GO AND A SET OF SPOKES ARE IN MY FUTURE

Comment

• Diesel Dave
        • Jul 25 2010

I want to draw upon the experiences that others have had with wheel and tire combos. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I understand that 215/75R14 most closely mimics the original bias ply tires. I'd like to go with a something a bit wider, and have that extra width move the sidewall outboard--I think the stock tires are tucked in too much. Obviously, I'd like to avoid clearance issues. Also, I want to add discs (later) and use a 15" wheel to make room for that.

Coker lists the section width of the 225 as 8.95" which I think will be nice, and they list the diameter as a full inch taller than the bias plies (I don't think the extra height will be an issue, though.) I wouldn't mind going even a bit wider, but the 235 is only listed with a 3 1/8" whitewall which I think would be too much white.

So what I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on is this:
        15x7 steelies, 3 3/4" backspacing
        Coker Classic 2 3/4 Inch Whitewall - 225/75R15

Any potential landmines with this combo? Thanks in advance.
        Dave

Diesel Dave
        1959 Hardtop (not diesel)

Comment

• triple60squares
          Experienced
          • Jan 25 2013

not to upset anybody or criticize any ones car but i dont think wide whites wider then an inch look right on most cars built after 54 including the squares

dont shoot me but im gonna run 15inch raised white letters on my bird dont know what rims yet but am leaning hard toward chrome reverse and dont know what size tires im gonna run yet either
          60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
          60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
          60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I would have agreed with triple60squares BEFORE seeing Marcelo's new shoes:
            Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
            Lucille’ got some new shoes!

They’re powder coated 15” x 6” Wheel Vintiques wheels wrapped in 3” white walled Diamondback 215/75/R15's with ’42 Ford dog dish hubcaps and beauty rings.

Marcelo's 'Lucille' really looks dynamite in this combination because the car is black and chrome. On another car this wouldn't work, but these are SPATS! BTW, Lucille also wears Power Disk Brakes.

Be careful when doing back spacing. I think they come in 1/2" increments. If you have too much, use a 1/4" spacer.

The real caution is in consideration for the rear wheels. Some are so wide, the springs must be detached just to get tires passed the quarter panel lip, and onto the drums.

If I owned raised white letter tires, I would quickly turn them inside as I prefer BSW over them. Ray Clark had RWL tires on his 'Yellowrose'. They looked odd because RWL's weren't offered back in 1960:

Most 15" wheels work well with disk brakes. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have to respectfully disagree with triple60squares.
              Attached Files
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 18 2009

Me 2

I totally disagree as well. I run 225/14 with 2 1/2'' whitewalls. I think they look magic on my '60. How-ever I had 1'' whitewalls on my '61 & they looked right for that model. At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                  • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by triple60squares
                  not to upset anybody or criticize any ones car but i dont think wide whites wider then an inch look right on most cars built after 54 including the squares

dont shoot me but im gonna run 15inch raised white letters on my bird dont know what rims yet but am leaning hard toward chrome reverse and dont know what size tires im gonna run yet either
                  Hey, to each his own I say. If all our cars looked the same, that would be horrible.
                  Diesel Dave

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                    • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    I would have agreed with triple60squares BEFORE seeing Marcelo's new shoes:
                    Dagnabbit! These pics have me rethinking the 225s. Do you have any idea how much the mounting surface of the rotors is moved outboard compared to the drums?

Thanks for the reply,
                    Dave
                    Diesel Dave

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

No, no... The rotors aren't moved out at all. The rim sits exactly where the drum face used to be if you use Scarebird brackets with Mustang rotors.

I can tell you this, using the 14" wheels that Ray bought;

there is barely enough room for your finger to slide between the tire and the upper 'A' arm. But hey, "an inch is good as a mile" as long as nothing touches. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                        • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        No, no... The rotors aren't moved out at all. The rim sits exactly where the drum face used to be if you use Scarebird brackets with Mustang rotors.

I can tell you this, using the 14" wheels that Ray bought; there is barely enough room for your finger to slide between the tire and the upper 'A' arm. But hey, "an inch is good as a mile" as long as nothing touches. - Dave
                        Thanks Dave. It's really helpful to know that.

One nice thing about Coker is that they're willing to take returns as long as the wheels aren't fully mounted.
                        Diesel Dave

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Diesel Dave
                          I want to draw upon the experiences that others have had with wheel and tire combos. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I understand that 215/75R14 most closely mimics the original bias ply tires. I'd like to go with a something a bit wider, and have that extra width move the sidewall outboard--I think the stock tires are tucked in too much. Obviously, I'd like to avoid clearance issues. Also, I want to add discs (later) and use a 15" wheel to make room for that.

Coker lists the section width of the 225 as 8.95" which I think will be nice, and they list the diameter as a full inch taller than the bias plies (I don't think the extra height will be an issue, though.) I wouldn't mind going even a bit wider, but the 235 is only listed with a 3 1/8" whitewall which I think would be too much white.

Dave

Dave, I also disagree with "triple60squares".

I have the 225/75R14 radial WWW's on my '60 Hardtop. I get lots of compliments too. Even my father, when he was still here, changed the tires on his '59 Galaxie 500 after he saw my Bird with the "big whites"...

-Jon in TX.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by Diesel Dave

Dave

I think you'd be happy with the setup I've got on my bird. remember if you go too wide in the rear, you'll have a difficult time unmounting and mounting the wheels. The rear wheel wells aren't very deep. It's a close fit getting my 215's in there. I'm sure you'd be OK with 225's, but you'd probably be pushing it with 235's
                            VTCI# 11860
                            58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 6 2012

And as Dave mentioned before, I have zero issues with clearance with my disc brake setup.

VTCI# 11860
                              58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• triple60squares
                                Experienced
                                • Jan 25 2013

so your running the scarebird disc set up?

could you tell me what you actually get from scarebird themselves

i know you have to buy the rotors and the calipers seperately

what do you do about the master cylinder and the proportioning valve?

ohh and talk about feeling like been left out in the cold.....lol no one aggrees with me its ok im used to it that makes me unique and original
                                60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
                                60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
                                60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎