X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Won't start

So, the wife and kids are gone for a week. I had 2 goals for that time alone.

1 - Clean and wax may Mazda3. Got that one done this weekend.

2 - Put a serious dent in that suspension rebuilt I've been putting off.

The bird has other plans, however, as it won't start so I can get it turned around and centered in the garage.

I just drove it to church this morning and for about an hour last night, just cruising, going nowhere.

If I try to start it I get nothing. Well, I get a click when I turn the key and a different click when I release it. It doesn't try to crank at all. Sometimes it doesn't even click at all.

Where do I check first?

Thanks,
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Those little clinks you hear are the power window and power seat relays on the firewall.

First check the battery, it may be dead. Second check the stater solenoid.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by Alexander
      Those little clinks you hear are the power window and power seat relays on the firewall.

First check the battery, it may be dead. Second check the stater solenoid.
      Well, that means that my PW relay's working! One less thing to check when I work on getting the windows working.

I just drove it earlier that day with no trouble starting it, and the battery isn't that old, so I doubt it's the battery. I'll check it to be sure.

Where's the starter on the 352? I seem to remember some talk of how hard it is to get to. How does one check a solenoi?

The car is nose into the garage with the RF in the corner. I bet I'm going to have fun getting to it, right?
      DGS (aka salguod)
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

A bad ignition switch behind the key may give you the symptom you have.

I doubt your starter is bad, if it started earlier in the day.

Did you check that your car is really in Park?
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

The park safety switch is a good idea. Back several years when Grandpa owned it, you had to pull up on the shift lever to start it. He had the shift lever or the park safety switch adjusted and then it worked fine. Maybe it's out of adjustment again.

I probably should order a new detent plate ...
          DGS (aka salguod)
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

The key is certainly a possibility. Checking the starter solenoid might provide some info about both.

The starter solenoid (for almost every Ford there is) is on the fender near the battery. It has both heavy leads (from the battery and to the starter) and smaller posts that are simply push-on connections. One of these is supposed to provide 12V when you turn the key to the Start position. On mine it is the one toward the front. You can simulate this by making up a little jumper wire and going from the + post of your battery over to that small, front post on the solenoid. The starter should engage and turn. (I just went out and did this to make sure I knew what I was talking about)

If that happens then you know the starter and battery are OK. You know the key-switch or Bendix need further investigating, not to mention wiring.

You might even find one of the wires has come off or broken off. Those little right angle boots get brittle with age.

I would suggest you make sure the car is in Park and the Emergency brake is On when you do this, just in case anything weird happens (like it starts and drops into Reverse). It is good if the car runs but much better if you are in the driver's seat when it happens!!

John

PS when done, you realize how easy it would be to steal one of these. One wire to the ballast resistor for ignition and one temporary wire to get it started.
            Last edited by JohnG; July 23, 2007, 09:09 AM.
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Move the shifter around in park and then try N.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by dgs
                I probably should order a new detent plate ...
                With the detent plate I designed, there will never again be a doubt that the car is in park.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

Well, it turns out that the battery I thought was 'not very old' was actually 5 years old. Wow, if you'd have asked me I would have told you I hadn't had the car for 5 years.

I put 2 and 2 together after turning the headlights on and noting how slow they lit and how dim they were after they had lit. Of course, this was after I jiggled the shifter in park, tried starting it in neutral and tried to charge the battery. Down to Autozone to get a new one (even got $7 back for the year I didn't get on the 6 year battery) and away we went. It's a beautiful night, so I went for a drive while I was at it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• frank58
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 28 2006

Another happy ending..............

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

A happy ending and a very easy solution. That's what I like about this site, knowledge, suggestions, past examples and above all else, keeping the auto vendors employed. Good job!!

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡