Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Maybe he could switch lids to the style I have on mine?

(I've since replaced that aftermarket A/C compressor bracket with an OEM - no pic handy at the moment)

Comment

• OX1
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by DKheld
      Maybe he could switch lids to the style I have on mine?

(I've since replaced that aftermarket A/C compressor bracket with an OEM - no pic handy at the moment)

Now that you mention it, that is the style I have on my 430.
      Wonder why Rob doesn't?

I'd also like to see front view to see how bracket bolts up and how it fits with original PS brackets.
      59-430-HT

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by OX1
        Now that you mention it, that is the style I have on my 430.
        Wonder why Rob doesn't?
        To my knowledge all '59's had the flat lid without the dipstick. Over the years many had the lid changed or had rebuilt pumps installed. Back in the old days you could get a rebuilt pump with the reservoir. Most of them came with the dipstick lid.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
          To my knowledge all '59's had the flat lid without the dipstick. Over the years many had the lid changed or had rebuilt pumps installed. Back in the old days you could get a rebuilt pump with the reservoir. Most of them came with the dipstick lid.

John
          That explains why my PS dipstick does not even read close to correct. On the upside, it should clear that AC bracket.
          59-430-HT

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rob's 1960 non AC 430 to AC Install

Here is an update from Rob and Don. They had hoped to be finished today, but are not quite there. Like many things that can happen when you are working on a classic car, things came up that delayed them, or had to be worked out or they had to go get some additional parts. But the work is pretty well done, with most everything back in place, even the shroud around the radiator. They have left off the electric fans because there was no room for it on the outside of the radiator to put it back on. If push comes to shove, they know they can reverse it to a puller, take off the mechanical fan and spacer and put the electric fans on the back side. As for the PS container, it does clear the mounting bracket, and you can get to it okay. I told him about your concern and cover, Henry and suggested that he look at your pic. He will see about getting some pix of that area straight on, along with other pix to me tomorrow. Mainly, they want to get everything completed tomorrow to the point where they can back her out of the garage, start her up, and get the AC going to see how she is doing.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rob says that after they have everything done, Don will write up for us, and CAA what they experienced, what they had to do to make it work, etc.. He said the pix in the instructions that came with the kit were helpful. He plans on sending me some more pix, after everything is buttoned up, and testing indicates that the AC system is performing correctly... The 430 conversions we have going on now, may be the first ones done using the CAA kit. I do not know that for sure, and CAA does not know either. They have had calls concerning installing their "Perfect Fit? kit on a 430, and told them what parts they were going to have to locate off a 430 AC equipped parts car to do it. But they never got any feedback from anyone who did it and has the kit working on their 430 Squarebird. More info and pix from Rob as I get them.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

It is a done deal! Rob and Don finished off the work that needed to be completed today and took it, and Rob's wife Bea, out for a spin in it. It was around 100 degrees here in Texas again today, so they got to see how the Bird would do in this heat. The Temp stayed in the normal range without the electric fans, which they did not put back on. The AC was keeping them nice and cool, he said. They did not take a lengthy trip out, just put some miles on it to see how it would respond and it did well. Rob and Bea plan on taking her out on a more lengthy trip this weekend to see how she does. They did check the temp of the radiator fluid and it showed 190 degrees. They will check the AC cooling with a thermometer probably tomorrow. There are a few minor things that they want to tidy up, some that go back to when the car was restored some years back. But all in all, they are pleased with how it went and how the car is doing. He will get me some pix as soon as he can. He has been up early a few days, and working long hours with Don, so he is a bit on the tired side tonight, but doing well. So it looks this is a success, with the XE-48002 mounting bracket mating with the 430 block well, and the PS mounting bracket, as I understand. The CAA adapter plate working well with the XE mounting bracket, the two 430 AC pulleys that Rob got from Carl working well. And they did not have to get a smaller fan spacer from Carl.. I am looking forward to sharing the pix when Rob can get them to me.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rob has been busy tidying up his garage from all the work they were doing in it. He has a fairly large, air-conditioned garage to work in, thank goodness, so they were not working in the Texas 100degrees environment. He still has some cleanup work to get to and the plan is to get the car out of the garage again, on Sunday, take pix of the interior, the engine bay and the car and get them to me. Also, to take some AC temp readings from within the car. Then take it for an extended drive to continue seeing how it responds, how the engine handles the load, without the 2 electric fans and with the new 6 bladed fan. As soon as I receive additional information and pix I will post them. He did say that the clearance between the compressor mounting bracket and the top of the PS unit allows one to get their hand in there. He saw the pic of the PS unit that Henry has, showing the dipstick off to the left and he may check into that. His PS unit does not have that dipstick on it.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have been waiting on After pix and a run down of what they went through to do the aftermarket CAA AC install on Rob's '60 430 Tbird. The conversion is complete, and Don is working on writing up their experiences. In the meantime, there is some other work being done on the car that is not AC install related. When they get that completed, hopefully, they will have pix and a rundown available for us to see.

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rob just emailed me and I just talked with him regarding where they are with the car. They, like me, and this half of Texas, are about to grow webbed feet because of all the rain we have been getting for the last couple of weeks, and it is still going on. They are predicting that by about the first part of next week, we will start getting out of the 70-'80's range and back to some clear weather and 90+ degree temps.

As previously reported, the CAA conversion has been completed and seems to be doing well, except for a bit of overheating on some of their runs. After doing some checking and talking with John ~ jopizz about this, it was discovered that a PO, apparently, was running that Bird with a timing setting of ZERO.. John suggested, as I recall, to increase the idle speed a bit and raise the timing setting up to about 10 degrees, and that should help. They think that those adjustments seems to have fixed that problem.. They think, but they have not, because of all the rain, and some other commitments, been able to make an extended test run in 90+ degree weather to see if that 6 bladed fan, without the electronic fans, is gonna cut it. I think those two fans only are capable of about 2500CFM together, and from what I have read, if you eliminate the mechanical fan, and run with just the electric fan(s), you will need about 4600CFM for good cooling. Which means they may have to go to higher rating fan(s)..

But as soon as they can, they want to get her out on a good, clear day, with 90+ degree temps and take her on an extended run to see how she does. Don is in the process of writing up a report for us on all the actions they have take, Rob says, and will get that to me. Once they have some clear weather, Rob says he will get us some good pix to post.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

UPDATE: Rob's 1960 non AC 430 to AC Install

Rob sent me some new pix of the exterior of his Tbird after they were finally able to get it out on a rainless day and give it a good test run, on a nice, hot day in Texas. Like us, for the last few weeks, we have had far more rain than sunshine. He says she is running like a top and staying cool, with no overheating problems, after the completion of the CAA "Perfect Fit" AC system. He still has to get some good pix taken of the engine bay and get them to me for posting, but I did post the new pix he sent in his Our Rides Forum thread for ya'll to enjoy. That Sultana Turquoise & White color is to die for! If the weather stays nice, they hope to have her out and testing her out some more, but so far, so good. Unfortunately, Don has not been able to write up the report he was going to do on the CAA installation. He had a bad fall while working around his home, and recovering from that. He had some pretty severe injuries. Hopefully, he will be able to get to that soon.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The weather broke for Rob and I here, also, the last couple of days, so he and Bea were able to get out and test drive their Tbird some more and get more pix taken. Me, I was finally able to get out on my lawn and mow it... Rob sent me 5 new pix of what the engine bay looks like now with the CAA "Perfect Fit" AC system in place and working well. You will probably notice that the fan looks like it is the OEM 4 bladed fan and it is. They tried that 6 bladed fan he had, and it did not work well. They were having some overheating problems still, as I recall. So they put the 4 bladed OEM fan back on and it seems to be working well now. On the hotter days they have been able to get her out and testing her, she has not given them anymore overheating problems. So it looks like a done deal on that conversion project! Here are those pix!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• bird 60
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 18 2009

Good to here about the Air-con & the heating problem. However, the closeness of the compressor & the Power steering reservoir top look awfully close to each other. Is he able to check & top up without any dismantling?

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Chris, I talked with Rob and he said that it will be difficult to check the PS fluid level the way this is set up, as there is only about an inch spacing between the flat top of the reservoir and the bottom of the compressor mounting bracket. He does not have that PS unit that has that "smoke stack" sticking up where you can more easily check the fluid level. IF he has to check that fluid level or change it, that mounting bracket and AC compressor is going to have to come off. It was a problem he and Don talked about during the install. If this was a daily driver Tbird, it probably would have put a stop to this install. Since it is mainly an occasional weekend warrior, they went ahead with the install.

He would like to know if there is a different PS reservoir available for the 430MEL, or how others doing this CAA conversion handled the problem of access to that unit.. If you have any ideas, please post here and I will bring them to Rob's attention.

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Does he have enough room to loosen the nut? If so you don't have to remove the lid to check the fluid or fill it. You just have to loosen the nut, lift the lid slightly and turn it. The nut is off center so the lid will turn and give you an opening to see the fluid and fill it without having to take it off. It may have been designed this way to give access when the compressor is in the way.

John
                                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎