X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Water pump exchange

I got my metal fan shroud off eBay. It was for a 1963 Ford Galaxie. I would imagine a '61-'62 Galaxie would work also. There were slight modifications to it that had to be done to the bottom to mount it, but that was not bad. We also had to drill into the top of the radiator to secure the top half. To prevent us from drilling to deeply into the radiator and causing a problem, we put a piece of metal (as I recall) or rubber over the drill bit to prevent it from going to deep. Just drill deep enough to screw in some self tapping screws.

There are the fiberglass types also available. I think several of the Tbird parts houses have them. I know that Thunderbirds Southwest has one that is set up to mount right on our Squarebirds for $170. Check this link out.

http://thunderbirdsouthwest.com/inde...n-shrouds.html

If you have questions, email Lance Herrington.

lance@thunderbirdsouthwest.com

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
      I got my metal fan shroud off eBay. It was for a 1963 Ford Galaxie. I would imagine a '61-'62 Galaxie would work also. There were slight modifications to it that had to be done to the bottom to mount it, but that was not bad. We also had to drill into the top of the radiator to secure the top half. To prevent us from drilling to deeply into the radiator and causing a problem, we put a piece of metal (as I recall) or rubber over the drill bit to prevent it from going to deep. Just drill deep enough to screw in some self tapping screws.

There are the fiberglass types also available. I think several of the Tbird parts houses have them. I know that Thunderbirds Southwest has one that is set up to mount right on our Squarebirds for $170. Check this link out.

http://thunderbirdsouthwest.com/inde...n-shrouds.html

If you have questions, email Lance Herrington.

lance@thunderbirdsouthwest.com
      Thank you Ray. Did not find the fan shroud for the Galaxie, but would the '61-'65 T-bird fan shroud work on a Squarebird?

Also, will this fan blade work on a Squarebird?

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fan Shroud

Hi Jiri, No, that 61-65 Tbird shroud will not work on the Squarebird. I called Wilsons for you and they told me that it will not work. In regards to that fan, that might work, but I would rather one of our more technically inclined people comment on it. I know that the 5 bladed fan for the Squarebirds does work though. You can get them from any of the Tbird parts houses. I bought a 6 bladed flex fan from one of the auto parts stores locally and it went right on with no problems at all. I got it from Autozone, or O'Reilly's autoparts probably, since both of them are just a few blocks away from me. With the radiator being recored a year or two ago, the fan shroud and the 6 bladed fan, I have not had anymore problems with it overheating. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I do not remember what it cost. I think it was about $30. I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=267070_0_0_

BTW, did you receive the email I sent you about the WW II Czech workers and the shells? If not, let me know and I will try sending it again...
        Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird

Thank you for the tip. $200 is pretty expensive for a piece of plastic... Is it possible to get it cheaper elsewhere?

And if not, how effective is the influence of the shroud on the cooling? I'll get the 6-blade fan for sure, but need to be sure that the $200 for the shroud are really worth. Fact is, I will be driving in the hot summer and anything that helps to cool the bird down is good...
          I cannot imagine a proper cooling system without a fan shroud, especially on a AC install.

FORD realized this during the 1960 model run.

If you decide on the shroud, ask what diameter fan will fit within the shroud before buying the fan asm.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

Hi Jiri, No, that 61-65 Tbird shroud will not work on the Squarebird. I called Wilsons for you and they told me that it will not work. In regards to that fan, that might work, but I would rather one of our more technically inclined people comment on it. I know that the 5 bladed fan for the Squarebirds does work though. You can get them from any of the Tbird parts houses. I bought a 6 bladed flex fan from one of the auto parts stores locally and it went right on with no problems at all. I got it from Autozone, or O'Reilly's autoparts probably, since both of them are just a few blocks away from me. With the radiator being recored a year or two ago, the fan shroud and the 6 bladed fan, I have not had anymore problems with it overheating. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I do not remember what it cost. I think it was about $30. I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

BTW, did you receive the email I sent you about the WW II Czech workers and the shells? If not, let me know and I will try sending it again...
            Thank you for the tip Ray - every $ saved is worth. Is there any diference between steel fan and a flex fan? Lance is offering a steel fan, 6-blade, 17" for $60. I can not compare this, a flex fan seems lighter and therefore might be more effective. Or not...?

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
              Experienced
              • Jun 20 2012

What does a radiator recoring really mean, what is done with the radiator during that process? Need to know to find where that could be done.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                Experienced
                • Jun 20 2012

Very nice story indeed Ray! Only now I had the time to read it. Must have been a very difficult time back than, at war… Fortunately, war gone over and now we can enjoy another part of the technical history - our Squarebirds!

Jiri

PS: …and I will, when the cooling and braking (and maybe few other minor things) are done.
                PS2: this forum is a truly magnificent place - such great people here, willing to help and share their knowledge and experience... I mean, great!

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Flex Fans

Jiri, I hope that some of our more techincally qualified members will jump in here and help answer some of your questions. But first, regarding flex fans, here is an explanation that I found that might help.

"Automotive or radiator cooling fans are a necessity, but they can also rob power when you need it most. Flexible, or Flex Fans might be the answer. When you're driving at low RPM you need your fan to pull air across the radiator to keep your engine cool. When your moving down the highway or track, there is plenty of air moving across the radiator. Flex fans are made to keep their shape up to a certain RPM. As an engine reaches that RPM level, the fan blades "flatten" out reducing the air pull. A "flat fan" is much easier to turn because it has no drag. As engine RPM's slow down, the flex fan will regain its shape to pull air again. A simple radiator cooling fan solution!"

I tried to find something to explain the principle behind recoring a radiator but could not find one. It is a matter of going into the radiator, I gather, and reburbishing the "cores" that the water runs through, cleaning out any rush or debris in them. Hopefully, again, one of our guys with greater knowledge than me can explain this better. Several years ago, my radiator on Rose was taken off, and recored an made like new again. Between that, the shroud and the flex fan, I have not had any overheating problems since then. If that is the OEM radiator on your Tbird, if you can find a good radiator shop there, it might be good to have it recored, if they can do it.

Thanks for letting me know you received that email. I thought you might find it interesting. Thank you also for the complement regarding our Forum. That is much appreciated.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 20 2012

I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

Comparing the photo of your fan with the one from the link (and a 18" one from the link) it's obvious that you have the 18" fan. I would like to buy as large fan as it can fit into the fan shroud (thanks KULTULZ for the tip) as every inch of cooling power counts .

Lance did not measure or advise the fan size sofar, he only offered the 17" steel fan. The question is - would your shroud from the Galaxie be so different in size from the Tbird one so it would allow to fit the 18"?

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 20 2012

I tried to find something to explain the principle behind recoring a radiator but could not find one. It is a matter of going into the radiator, I gather, and reburbishing the "cores" that the water runs through, cleaning out any rush or debris in them. Hopefully, again, one of our guys with greater knowledge than me can explain this better. Several years ago, my radiator on Rose was taken off, and recored an made like new again. Between that, the shroud and the flex fan, I have not had any overheating problems since then. If that is the OEM radiator on your Tbird, if you can find a good radiator shop there, it might be good to have it recored, if they can do it.
                      I found several radiator shops here in Czech and from what I've learned, besides the leak repair thay can:
                      a) clean out the cores from minerals, rush, etc.
                      b) re-core the radiator which basically means keeping only the radiator frame and replacing the core with the new one

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird

Comparing the photo of your fan with the one from the link (and a 18" one from the link) it's obvious that you have the 18" fan. I would like to buy as large fan as it can fit into the fan shroud (thanks KULTULZ for the tip) as every inch of cooling power counts .

Lance did not measure or advise the fan size sofar, he only offered the 17" steel fan. The question is - would your shroud from the Galaxie be so different in size from the Tbird one so it would allow to fit the 18"?
                        If the repro shroud is the same size as the OEM, it will take an 18" fan blade, minimum five blade.

To re-core a radiator is to actually replace the cooling core while the tanks are retained.

To rod a radiator is to clean the core tubes in a solvent.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Flex Fans & Shrouds

Hi Jiri, I think you got your answer regarding the fan size. I tried to get you a measurement on the width of my 1963 Galaxie fan shroud, but I could not do it. I did measure it across the top and it is 23 1/2" as I recall. There are some members who run the ABS fiberglass versions and some who are using the metal Galaxie ones like me. The nice thing about the ABS versions that are made for the Squarebirds is that you do not have to modify them to mount them. The metal one from the Galaxie you do.

Gary, thanks for the explanations.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                            If the repro shroud is the same size as the OEM, it will take an 18" fan blade, minimum five blade.

To re-core a radiator is to actually replace the cooling core while the tanks are retained.

To rod a radiator is to clean the core tubes in a solvent.
                            This is what Lance says about the fan size: 'It will fit but not recommended due to the torque of motor and age of rubber mounts. Could hit the shroud.' Not sure if this is valid for the flex fan also - as that one is still much lighter.

What do you recommend - should I go with the 18" like this one?

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 20 2012

This seems a good price for a water pump. Do I need to send my pump for exchange (which is not doable for me) or not?

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                                Experienced
                                • Jun 20 2012

Also, I bought an IR thermometer to check the engine's temperature behavior. What is the best part to check the temperature on - the radiator hose, the expansion tank, the block?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎