X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ford351c594
    Experienced
    • Mar 6 2015

vacuum question

Hello again. Haven't been on much due to having a few knee surgeries again. I have been tinkering under the hood the last few weeks as I want to enjoy the bird again. I have a few questions about the vacuum system.

First the car still has the fuel pump/vacuum pump on it. It runs to a tee of crap on the intake. From the tee goes in the fire wall to the brake booster, then off to a port on the front of the carb. The vacuum advance runs to a port on the side of the carb. (passanger side of the carb). This seem all kinda wrong to me. Also if I have vacuum being used of the intake, do I need the fuel pump vacuum source? Any pictures of vacuum set ups would be greatly appreciated. I am tempted to just do away with it all and start over.

I'm almost done under the hood then it will time to address the suspension and brakes.....
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Sounds like someone tried to get creative with your vacuum system.
    Lets start with the easy one first.
    1. If you still have the autolite carb, the vacuum port on the passenger side of the carb should go directly to the vacuum advance on the distributor. This is manifold vacuum vs. ported. Usually distributors run ported vacuum, but the Birds seem to use manifold (constant vacuum, even with the throttle closed).
    2. The vacuum lines from the fuel pump should have nothing to do with the vacuum for the brake system. There should be a vacuum port on the manifold that goes to the fuel pump vacuum connection, and then the other port should run through the firewall to the windshield wiper motor.
    3. The power brakes should have a larger port from the intake manifold that is connected to a check valve tee that has one line running to your brake booster and the other side going to a vacuum tank inside the left fender well. This is for an AC car. I'm not sure if the non AC needs the vacuum tank in the fender well since the booster is much larger.
    Hope this makes some sense.
    Nyles
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ford351c594
      Experienced
      • Mar 6 2015

Thanks a ton!!!!

going to have to take good look again in the morning for sure. LOL. I have an autolite carb, but looks nothing like yours. So someone probably swapped it over at some point. Also, I do have an AC car, and my wipers work, but I only see one line going to the firewall. I'll have to get under the dash and see if it splits off under there for the wipers or something. One port on the fuel pump is just plugged. The other goes to the manifold. So If I'm not using the pump for anything... I guess I can just eliminate those lines under the hood....

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Make sure you don't use ported vacuum for your distributor, it was a crutch used by car manufacturers to get their motors to reduce emissions, it does nothing for performance and decreases economy.
        Full manifold vacuum is the way to go.
        With regard to the vacuum port on your fuel pump - in my experience the wipers to keep them going on long uphill hauls when manifold vacuum is at a minimum.
        Hopefully I'm not try to teach my Granny to suck eggs!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by scumdog
          Make sure you don't use ported vacuum for your distributor, it was a crutch used by car manufacturers to get their motors to reduce emissions, it does nothing for performance and decreases economy.
          Full manifold vacuum is the way to go.
          With regard to the vacuum port on your fuel pump - in my experience the wipers to keep them going on long uphill hauls when manifold vacuum is at a minimum.
          Hopefully I'm not try to teach my Granny to suck eggs!
          What he said....

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I don't think the Autolite 4100 even has a ported vacuum connection available.
            Nyles

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
              I don't think the Autolite 4100 even has a ported vacuum connection available.
              Nyles
              I don't doubt it Nyles - smog hadn't been invented then! Lol
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎