New member, Tommy with 59 t-bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

391???

Originally posted by jopizz
    My guess is that it's a 391 which had a compression ration of 8:1.

John
    If so then the dizzy shaft will be larger. I'm going to have to check because I was going to purchase a new dizzy. I believe on the bottom a reg 390 has a 1.38 and a 391 1.76 i'll have to research those #'s though. Tommy"

Comment

59 t-bird

Hi All, the more I read about the 391 the less I feel I have one. The 391 is a bit of an oddball. I have the original intake on the engine and also the timing cover is my original the dizzy doesn't have a governor on it and my heads don't have cross over in them. I think it's a fe 390 out of a truck, a light truck engine, who knows what they put into it when they rebuilt it. I spoke with Dave the other night and he said when they rebuild they pretty much toss the pistons, so i'll take compression and just to see what it reads, as for the engine it runs very nice so i'm just going to enjoy it and work on other things that need some attention. Thanks for the help and I will post compression #'s when I get them in several wks. Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Even though the FT (330,361,391) and FE (352,360,390) blocks are pretty much identical and the components will interchange you are correct about the 390 being much more common. There were obviously more light trucks built than heavy duty trucks.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

59 t-bird

Even though the FT (330,361,391) and FE (352,360,390) blocks are pretty much identical and the components will interchange you are correct about the 390 being much more common. There were obviously more light trucks built than heavy duty trucks.

John
          John i don't know why i'm so obsessed about it. I just like to know what I have but I do know it's a 390 an runs good so unless I find out more I am going to try and enjoy it through the summer. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

With the original intake and valve covers only an expert will know it's not the original motor.

John

Comment

59 t-bird

With the original intake and valve covers only an expert will know it's not the original motor.

John
              That's exactly how i'm thinking. Lol" Thanks John

Comment

59 t-bird

Originally posted by YellowRose
                Tommy, when you get a chance get a better measurement on that center case section of the tranny. A Large case measures 10 7/8" for a 1958-1960 Tranny. A 1961-1965 Large case tranny measures 11.6". Hopefully, someone will be able to tell you which tranny you have from the numbers. If it is a 430 tranny, the tag on the drivers side should have said 430 on the left side of the tag and the number on the right side.
                Hi Ray, the tranny case is 10-7/8". I took compression turning slow only about 5 revs per cyl. and it held 155 Lb. across the board. !8" of vacume @ idle and when I removed valve covers everything was new. I think the #'s are good runs good , but slips like **** from 1st - 2nd anyone have any ideas it did sit for 9yrs. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

IF you can find the correct trans filter, you might try changing it and going back with a bottle of Sea Foam brand transmission conditioner (with new fluid).

It's a free try for a few miles....
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

tranny slip

Originally posted by tbird430
                    IF you can find the correct trans filter, you might try changing it and going back with a bottle of Sea Foam brand transmission conditioner (with new fluid).

It's a free try for a few miles....
                    Hi 430,i had heard about the sea foam but wasn't familiar with it. Should I leave old fluid drop pan change filter and add foam. I was thinking of putting 50-100 miles on it and what do you think about having it flushed and new fluid. Also do you think I should mess with the bands or just leave them for a tranny man. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The trans filter is metal so you just have to clean it. Most likely you have a lot of sludge after sitting that long. When I first took my trans apart after years of sitting the pan, filter and everything else was filled solid with sludge.

John

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

Yes, drop the pan, clean the filter (then), leave old fluid in torque convertor, then reinstall everything. Add one can of Sea Foam conditioner, then top off with Type "F" fluid if this trans is beleived to have never been overhauled.

Try putting a few miles on her, then report back to us.

Good luck.
                        sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

59 t-bird tranny

Thanks for all your help. What threw me is the fluid was so clean and no unordinary order. I'm not going up to car for a couple wks but I think I will get pan gasket drop pan and go from there. I will post my results. Thanks again Tommy"

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

Just remember, you have the LARGE case 430cid style cruise-o-matic....

sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

59 tranny slip

Hi 430, when I went up last time I re-measured the tranny. I measured 10-7/8 I thought that was the mx cruiso, that's the gasket I was going to order. If not please let me know. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• tbird430
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 18 2007

10 7/8" is the "HX" code cruise-o-matic for a 1959-60 430cid T-bird.

A very good transmission, but at times, hard to find parts for.....

-Jon in TX.
                                sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎