X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texastomeh
    Apprentice
    • Aug 28 2007

Converting '63 to dual exhaust???

Alright guys, this "newbie" is probably going to upset the purist again, but I am thinking about converting my '63 Hardtop 390 4V to dual exhaust vs the original single.

Has anyone out there in "Bullet Bird Land" done this conversion? I know that duals were standard with the 390 6V and are available. Is it a simple replacement?

ANY info and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanx,

texastomeh
  • Texas Landau
    Apprentice
    • Mar 6 2007

I'm not sure about a stock conversion, but the exhaust manifolds on my 63 were cracked, so I bought some headers and had a local shop put in some custom 2.5" pipes. They did a great job and it follows all the stock locations, even the hangers. The mufflers are in the stock position, as well as the tailpipe exits. Man, it sounds good!
    Randy

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

'63 Dual Conversion

The '63 shop manual supplement mentions that duals were optional for the 4v car, but I have yet to run across other factory documentation that notes this - I suspect it originally was planned that way but ended up not being offered. I did change my '63 HT to duals (but then again I also put an M-series intake/carbs on it).

You'll have to get a different H-pipe from the M-series as the M's used a flat flange to bolt to the exhaust manifold, while the 4v Y-pipe uses exhaust donuts and metal retainers that pull the pipe against the manifold. The major T-bird parts vendors can get H-pipes with the donut flanges/flares to work with '63 4v manifolds.

You'll also have to get the intermediate hangers (available in reproduction) that bolt to the body forward of the rear axle, and scrounge up a pair of used '61-'62 rear hangers/isolators for the muffler hangers.

The H-pipe I got had to be modified with hammer and torch to clear the lower body-to-engine crossmember brace. This probably could have been resolved better if I had had the system custom-bent by a competent muffler shop, but I purchased a stainless steel system as I don't plan on getting rid of the car for a long time.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• texastomeh
        Apprentice
        • Aug 28 2007

Thanx for the feedback guys.

As I dug into it deeper, I uncovered the same info re the difference in the manifolds. So, there goes the "simple replacement" .

After searching a bit, I found "KlassKollection Exhaust Systems" in Ft. Myers, FL. They offer all types of vintage exhaust systems, including duals for '63 TBirds. They offer a complete system for $260 + $60 S&H.

Luckily, I have the welder, O/A torch and several sizes of hammer. Looks like I'm gonna' need them!

Please stay tuned to the forum, because I will probably be yelling for more advice and help!!!!

Thanx,

texastomeh

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎