No announcement yet.

Head gasket 352

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket 352

Has anyone ever put head gaskets on their motor 352 and found that the instructions told them to flip one of them for water passages? What would happen if a head gasket was put on up side down? what would happen to the motor?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Head gasket 352

If you put it on wrong, so that the oil and cooling passages don't line up with head gasket holes, you will destroy your motor. If you put it on with the wrong side towards the block, it will leak, which can also damage your motor.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

I rebuilt my motor last winter and do not recall any such issues.

I DID learn some things about head gaskets that I will pass along to you.

You can use Brand X or you can use FelPro. The major downside to Brand X is that you may very well have to re-torque the head bolts after the motor has some run time on it,according to the instructions provided with them. This is a real pain, if you think about it. The FelPro gaskets, on the other hand, simply get installed, end of story.

We also found that FelPro gaskets on the intake manifold were substantially better than Brand X.

I had the luxury of building the motor in the back of an auto parts store where we could get various gaskets and compare them before using them, something I never had done before.

Bottom line: go with FelPro. Any added expense or inconvenience is well worth it!!

John
      58 Hardtop
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

will this destruction happen right away? will I find oil in the water and water in the oil?

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Why do you think you installed the head gaskets wrong?

If you really think you installed them wrong, get a new set and redo it. Unfortunately with these motors, you need to remove the intake manifld to re-install the heads.

I agree that Felpro makes a great gasket. I have no leakage problems with my cars using their products.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

I think something is wrong because the temp on the motor even with the weather as cool as it is now is still hot. also the burn marks on the intake at the drivers side rear and the passenger side front as the motor warms these areas are very hot to the touch and the rest of the intake is very cool. After all that cooling system work I did I think the tewmp should be way down now, new radiator thermostat and expansion tank work. The head gasket is not leaking, no white smoke no antifreez in the oil.It is a new rebuild feb 2206

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

If you are getting bad overheating you may have placed the head gaskets wrong.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢