Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

I have a regular battery from Antique Auto Battery. It constantly needs water about once a week when it is on a trickle charger. Not so much when it is in the car during the warm months. This aspect of the 1950's I do not enjoy so much - battery maintenance.

Do I understand that you have the extra-cost maintenance-free version? I thought that was sealed, so you could not check the acid level.

Originally posted by msmaron1
    Ok your gonna love this one., Found out today that my 1 YEAR old battery from Antique Auto Battery was "DRY" Yup DRY, had to order fluid for it...So i have been charging a "drained" maintenance free battery.... Lets here the thoughts on that one??
    mark
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander
      I have a regular battery from Antique Auto Battery. It constantly needs water about once a week when it is on a trickle charger. Not so much when it is in the car during the warm months. This aspect of the 1950's I do not enjoy so much - battery maintenance.

Do I understand that you have the extra-cost maintenance-free version? I thought that was sealed, so you could not check the acid level.
      ahhh yeah,., that is what i paid for. now i have to go look at it, I was told that a sealed battery still has fluid in it..I don't know but that is what i have been told???what do you think...I cam going to call the mechanic and see that the heck is going on here.....
      m

Comment

ahhh yeah,., that is what i paid for. now i have to go look at it, I was told that a sealed battery still has fluid in it..I don't know but that is what i have been told???what do you think...I cam going to call the mechanic and see that the heck is going on here.....
        m
        Most of the "so called" sealed/maintenance free batteries aren't really sealed. They don't have caps on them, they have a square or rectangular plastic lid, cover, etc., that WILL come off. The only batteries I know of that truly are sealed are those high dollar gel types.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I am not sure on the access of these maintenance-free Antique Auto Batteries. They are apparently a maintenance-free battery surrounded by a case that looks like an antique battery. They have a lower output than the regular battery, and that me decide to get the regular battery that needed maintenance.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

I have to go the mechanic and look at the battery, i am thinking there has to be leak of some sort and a hole big enough to let the juice out of it, I think they are also on a pro-rated warranty for 4 years...
            ,m

Comment

I have to go the mechanic and look at the battery, i am thinking there has to be leak of some sort and a hole big enough to let the juice out of it, I think they are also on a pro-rated warranty for 4 years...
              ,m
              You can't look at a battery and tell for yourself if it has a hole in it?

I'm thinking when you ordered the battery, you were supposed to order the acid for it, and you never did.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

The maintenance-free batteries are already pre-filled with acid by the company. The regular antique batteries are shipped dry and need acid added to them.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

I still say somthing is draining that battery. Just because it's burning all the acid out. Just my thought for the day.....Bill

Comment

Sounds to me like they sold him a regular battery and told him it was a sealed one.Probably just a honest mistake.I'm am quite sure no one would sell you a battery knowing it needed electrolite without telling you.George 60HT
                    PS My bird is getting a new red coat tomorrow.Then the real fun starts right!

Comment

Bill you might be right.If so all he needs to do is fill it up,charge it up.Turn on the headlights for about 10 seconds to take the surface charge off.Check the volts,disconnect the battery and come back tomorrow or next day and check the charge again.If it is the same the battery is good.Then hook it back up and check again in a few days to see if it stills charged,if not then he has a dead short somewhere.Hope not though they can be a bear to find.Good Luck George 60 HT

Comment

Battery Update

Ok here we go with the saga.. called Antique Battery company and explained what is going on..1st thing they tell me is go home pull the battery, fill it with water and clean it out, then add water again and clean it out again, basically they told me you got a sealed battery and should not have had to add anything...BUT!!!! Key word there BUT drain it, dry it out and call us Monday and lets see what you have...Now the interesting part is they told me the end caps are the only ones that are "fillable" WRONG, every cap is fillable, seems like i paid 240.00 for a maintenance free battery and got half of that....
                        well more on Monday to the continuation
                        mark

Comment

Holy cow $240 I just replaced all 4 of my 850 CCA batteries in my 18 wheeler and it cost me $240.Those antique ones must have gold plates instead of lead.George 60HT 94 Freightliner

Comment

Originally posted by TChicken
                            Holy cow $240 I just replaced all 4 of my 850 CCA batteries in my 18 wheeler and it cost me $240.Those antique ones must have gold plates instead of lead.George 60HT 94 Freightliner
                            yeah they all cost that, and if you want to show the car you have no other choice on the matter.,.it sucks but that is restoration for you,
                            Now the battery is sitting in the sink drying out for the next step
                            m

Comment

• Alexander
                              Webmaster
                              • Oct 30 2002

How does the antique part of the case open up? What kind of battery is inside?

Do you have any pictures?
                              Alexander
                              1959 Hard Top
                              1960 Golde Top
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander
                                How does the antique part of the case open up? What kind of battery is inside?

Do you have any pictures?
                                Does NOT open at all, just the caps come off and you can see inside, i will take some shots and show you what it looks like, almost like a cable inside of it
                                m

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎