No announcement yet.

Subframe question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe question

My question is are the subframes removable without cutting or burning them off. Are they bolted into the uni-body construction in the front and rear.

I could fax you body sheet metal breakdowns and pictures that may help you see how it is put together I would put it on this site but me and computers don't work together very good yet what year is your car. If you don't have fax # I will mail copys to if you want
    Bob M

Comment

Maybe this will work

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The subframe does not unbolt like it does on some cars of the sixties.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

And that is why you never see a Squarebird on Barrett Jackson.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

George you are correct about squarebirds at Barrett Jackson BUT when they do show up look out as they are sweet. They tend to be " non drivers " and then they take a chance at the money put in to restore vs the money they get back. Not to mention the 10% fee that goes to Barrett Jackson.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks for reply guys. The reason I asked is that there is a 1959 on EBAY # 320104533094 that is saying a frame off restro. I email the guy and asked how he did that since it is a uni-body. He said that they removed the subframes. I did not believed the subframes could be removed and replace that easy but I thought I would check with the experts. The guy sounds like a slick used car saleman. I did see a Squarebird on this last Barrett-Jackson auction in Florida. Forget how much it went for, Ill check their website and find out.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I see ads claiming frame-off restorations for Squarebirds all the time. You can no more remove the frame of a Squarebird than a doctor can remove your spinal column.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

I love these "Restored to Perfection" and "Frame Off Restorations" on ebay and other places. Then you see little chrome (open element) air cleaners or wrong valve covers or other obvious stuff like wrong interior patterns. How about the 59 conv on ebay right now for 59K or something (Great example of this) Or they make some statement like Hi perf "optional" 352 4 barrell because most Tbirds had two barrells? Why would someone advertise something like that, making such a dumb statement obviously not knowing??

On the subframe thing, I did see a 430 car with the eng removed. The frame horns (or motor mount pads) are considerably different than a 352 car. Beefier coil springs too. They would have to be. Those 430's were HUGE.

Comment

I love it when you guys get all stirred up,It shows the true passion of a Squarebird owner.I took the ole Red Bird to the Ford dealer today for a service and Auto Butler (I don't recommend the Auto Butler,not worth the 69.95) and you should have seen the other patrons checking it out.Makes me proud

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎