Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ray and I discussed this problem of having so many topics of discussion in one thread. It really does create problems. We need to stick to the subject or create a new thread.

To add fuel... Marcelo never asked for the headliner. It was given to him, including shipping. THAT was nice!

I hope he takes keith's advice too. I'm sure the car would be great for parts and patterns. It has an FE engine and COM trans. He could get $300 apiece if he sold them separately. Bumpers are worth $200/ea as cores. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's certainly worth what he paid for it in parts. If it doesn't hit the reserve he can strip it of all useful parts and still get $400-500 for scrap. Hopefully if he doesn't use the headliner he offers it to someone else for the same terms.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Ray and I discussed this problem of having so many topics of discussion in one thread. It really does create problems. We need to stick to the subject or create a new thread.
        While I agree to a point, that's the nature of a discussion forum, threads can ramble and the longer they are, the farther from the topic they can get. It's like any conversation, really. I think we can make things worse trying to police it too much. Let things evolve as they may.

In this case, I don't think any harm was done, ultimately. Jopizz misunderstood the situation, other's pointed him to the facts, he acknowledged them, apologized and all is good. Again, that's how things go sometimes.

I hope Marcello finds a new project and he can put the parts he's gotten, and this parts car, to good use. Shame his adventure came to this.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Doug very well said and I agree.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
            Experienced
            • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
            That's what happens when you have two different threads running in two different categories. I didn't realize he had another thread running in the FE engine section detailing the rust problems and his intention to sell the car. Sorry that I misspoke Marcelo.
            John, it’s OK. I could see how that would have appeared. The reason why I posted the rust pictures in the other thread was because that thread was related to getting the Thunderbird running and the rust put a stop to that.

Regarding the headliner: I would not think of selling the headliner after it was gifted to me from another member. I was touched by the gesture; especially being so new to the community. If it turns out that I don’t end up getting another Thunderbird, I will gladly offer the headliner to someone who needs it, free of charge, as Eric did for me.

I am not new to car forums, so I can say with experience that you’ve got something special here. This is a great community filled with very knowledgeable and passionate folks that go out of their way to help people.

This bird was a bust, but it wasn’t a complete loss. Its lead me to this wonderful community and I’m sure my next purchase will be a much wiser one with what I’ve learned here.

For now I’m focusing my attention on finding a good solid squarebird.
            VTCI# 11860
            58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The best thing out of this is that now you know what to look for when buying a squarebird and what to avoid. You should at least get your money back on the '58 so no harm done. There are probably more reasonably priced squarebirds around now than at any time in the last 20 years. I'm sure you'll find one.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

Yeah, stick around, dude....

Find a better car, and hopefully we'll see you back here real soon.
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                  Yeah, stick around, dude....

Find a better car, and hopefully we'll see you back here real soon.
                  I’m not going anywhere. I may not be as active for a while now that I don’t have an ongoing project anymore, but I’ll still be lurking and hunting for my next squarebird.

Like Arnold said in the Terminator movies: "I'll be back..."
                  VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 6 2012

Today was a bittersweet day. I’m sad to see the 58, a car that I had high hopes for go, but I’m happy that she is going to a new home that will give her the attention she deserves. She’s headed for Houston, TX and the new owner is very excited to have her.

VTCI# 11860

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's amazing to me how many people in the Southwest buy old cars from the Northeast. I don't think they have any idea what they are getting into.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 6 2012

In this case the buyer was made well aware of the condition. Considering what he paid for the car and that he will be doing the metal fabrication himself, I think it’ll work out well for him in the end.
                        VTCI# 11860

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

I hope you "put a bug in his ear" reguarding this website too.

-Jon in TX.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've bought enough squarebirds over the years to know that the rust that's visible to the naked eye is at least twice as bad when you start digging into it. I'm glad he can do the work himself because if he had to pay someone it would be more than the car is worth.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 6 2012

I came across this video on youtube. Looks like my old '58 ended up in Finland and the new owner has brought her back to life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PW4RyP422Y
                              VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

NYsquarebird58' Tbird

Hi Marcelo! That is great! It sounded pretty good too! Do you know if he is a member of our Forum? If not, if you know how to contact him, please let him know about us and that we can help him troubleshoot and restore her.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎