Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen those pictures before. Hopefully mine will look somewhat close to it once it's done. Of course a few thousand dollars to finish it off wouldn't hurt.

P.S. Does anybody know what those snaps are for. Looks like it had some sort of tonneau cover.
    Last edited by jopizz; February 16, 2012, 04:55 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
      Experienced
      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by DKheld
      Marcello - you have found your original horns and that means you have won the grand prize - a new white headliner !!!!!!

I ordered a headliner from one of the major parts suppliers years ago and it has been collecting dust in the garage ever since. It is bright white not off white like my original one - I didn't like it as much. I took my original headliner to a trim shop and had them order some material and make one that matched mine perfectly. If you want the "old" new one I'll send it to you for what it costs to ship. Should fit in one of the medium flat rate boxes so don't think it will be over $20.

When you do get to the point you are ready to install the headliner be sure and note the bars as you take them out - they are different and painted different colors on the edges to keep track of where they go. The rods also have little caps on the ends to keep them in the holes in the body - like the holes were too big and so they put caps on the ends of the rods to make them fit.

PM me your address if you want the headliner and I'll get it in the mail.

Eric

I'm liking that car more with ever pic you post !!!!
      Just got the headliner in the mail and all I can say is – Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I love the pattern and the color!

VTCI# 11860
      58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

It's a really nice community here....

Everyone helps thier "neighbor" as much as they can.

Isnt it great ?
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
          Experienced
          • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
          It's a really nice community here....

Everyone helps thier "neighbor" as much as they can.

Isnt it great ?
          It really is
          VTCI# 11860

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

I've got that decal on my '60 Convertible too. Grandpa bought it in 1978 in the Los Angeles area. I believe the prior owner's name was Earnest W. Smith. I'd love to know more about it's past life if there is more to know.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately the VTCA membership roster was hit and miss at best. No serial numbers were listed and a lot of times it only listed a year and no model type. I only found one Smith in the roster. They lived in Torrance, CA and that was from 1975 and it said they owned a 1960 Hardtop.

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

Interesting, because I have a couple of Midas receipts from a shop in Torrence:

Old lifetime certs from Midas for the mufflers on my Tbird. Think they'll honor em? by _salguod, on Flickr

Notice the date is '76 on the one, the other (out of the shot) is from '75. Notice the two different addresses too. Interestingly, both of these were for free replacement mufflers, they aren't the original. That's the only docs I have from before my gradfather owned the car. I don't even have all his documentation. His wife says she gave it to me, but I don't remember. I'm not sure who's memory is faulty, hers or mine.

See the CHP sticker from '74 too? The '73 sticker is underneath and there are stickers still on the windshield too.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Maybe it's the same guy and it was incorrectly ID'd as a hardtop, or maybe he had two cars. Or maybe it was someone else. Who knows.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

OK, I looked up the address for the Midas and the building and sign are still there, but it's not a Midas anymore. And, there's a '66 Charger (I think) on the street in Google street view.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Looks like Marcello gave up already. I'm not sure why he wanted all the parts if he was just going to turn around and give the car away.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
                      Looks like Marcello gave up already. I'm not sure why he wanted all the parts if he was just going to turn around and give the car away.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...item35b9b87048
                      Start from post 78. If you've got better advice than to walk away from this one, I'd like to hear it.
                      http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...t=12475&page=8
                      VTCI# 11860

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have no problem with you selling the car. I have a problem with you accepting parts for free when you have no intention of restoring the car. I'm sure there are other members who would have liked a free headliner who would have really used it. I wouldn't do that but that's just the way I was raised.

John

Comment

• lawyercalif
                          Experienced
                          • May 12 2011

I do not believe he intentionally meant to take advantage of anyone. Having read the other posts, I think he is devasted that his dream has blown up in his face. The rust is just too much for him to deal with. This happens a lot with new owners of these cars. So now he is feeling overwhelmed so he panicks and decides to sell it on Ebay.

Keith gave him good advice in the other thread. Keep the car for a parts car. For what he paid it is a cheap source of parts. If he really wants a squarebird in the end it will cost him, either buying a solid driver and spending the money up front; or finding a fixer upper and spending the sweat equity and money to fix it over time. I managed to get a decent Coupe here in California for $5000 but it would have taken another $5000 to put a new interior and a cheap paint job on it. My point is it takes money, time and heart to bring one of these cars back. I think Marcello certainly had the heart, I think the other two were the problem.

Originally posted by jopizz
                          I have no problem with you selling the car. I have a problem with you accepting parts for free when you have no intention of restoring the car. I'm sure there are other members who would have liked a free headliner who would have really used it. I wouldn't do that but that's just the way I was raised.

John
                          Last edited by lawyercalif; February 19, 2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's what happens when you have two different threads running in two different categories. I didn't realize he had another thread running in the FE engine section detailing the rust problems and his intention to sell the car. Sorry that I misspoke Marcelo.

Comment

• vote4pedro
                              • Apr 18 2011

Originally posted by dgs
                              OK, I looked up the address for the Midas and the building and sign are still there, but it's not a Midas anymore. And, there's a '66 Charger (I think) on the street in Google street view.
                              I think that car is a coronet. also i just ate at that sushi place down the street a few weeks back.

pete

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 30 2009

I also had my "nervous times" when I first got my car, but I was very lucky not to have found the serious case of cancer that Marcello found.
                                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎