X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

1958 convertible top frame color

While looking over the 58 convertible I just bought I noticed that the top frame is white. I checked William Wonder's Thunderbird restoration guide and it says the top frame should be tan or black. Does anybody else with a 58 convertible have a color other than tan or black for their top frame. It's white under the canvas so it doesn't look like it was repainted.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Need more information as in what was the original color combination for the interior and exterior. Knowing this should help narrow down what the original top lining was and, in turn, the color of the frame, as for '58 it typically was coordinated with the top lining.

Top Exterior material and frame/lining colors for '58 included:

1 Conv. Top-Black
    GRAY FRAME, GRAY/WHITE LINING
    2 Conv. Top-Lt. Green

GREEN FRAME, GREEN/WHITE LINING
    3 Conv. Top-Lt. Blue

BLUE FRAME, BLUE/WHITE LINING
    4 Conv. Top-White

GRAY FRAME, GRAY/WHITE LINING
    5 Conv. Top-White

BLUE FRAME, BLUE/WHITE LINING
    6 Conv. Top-White

GREEN FRAME, GREEN/WHITE LINING7 Conv. Top-White BUFF FRAME, BUFF/WHITE LINING
    Also, bear in mind that Wonder's book, which was published in 1996, has some information in it that was thought to be correct at the time of its writing (I should know - I proofed the manuscript), but was subsequently discovered to be otherwise while researching VTCI's 1958-1960 Original Factory Specifications manual in the mid-'00s.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Alan,

The car is colonial white with gulfstream blue and white interior. What little canvas top is left is white with a black lining. I haven't found a ROT sheet yet.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
        Experienced
        • Mar 31 2004

I do agree with Alan that according to the lit the 58's were supposed to have color coordinated frames. But from the many cars viewed and the 3 I have the frames were all black. Makes no snese to me that the 58 lit says one thing and Ford did opposite. In 59 the frame was coordinated with the interior color.

Unfortunately I am currently on the island of Yap so cannot confirm as would prefer to do.

If you look thru the 58 info the cloth lining was also supposed to coordinated with the interior color. Again this has never been proven.
        The lining was supposed to be color and white.

Fuz
        58's&64's
        Sun Prairie, Wi
        tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍