X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Real Sunroof?

I know Alexander will have the answer to this. Since Ford in their infinite wisdom did not have a seperate VIN code (or did they) for a sunroof. Is there a way to tell if it's an authentic car, or one where a roof has been grafted on. I've seen other cars where it's two or three cars combined into one (Owned one or two too) and if it's done correctly . . . You can't tell. I'd love to get ahold of one of these cars, but I want the real deal. A 430 w/AC pref, but I know I'm dreamin there.

Thanks

John
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Real Sunroof?

The Golde Top roofed Thunderbirds were referred to Ford documentation by a body style 63B, but all the VIN plates say 63A, the same as the Hard Tops.

The only way to know you have a genuine Golde Top, not just a grafted roof, is to find the ROT sheet or computer punch card. The ROT sheet is marked Golde Top from what I have heard. The computer punch card which is rolled up in the sunroof of the car also gives the VIN and color(s) of the car. It should match what is on the VIN plate.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Wow, really. How would you retrieve that? I guess you remove the interior trim? I guess I'd ask em to do that. There's one for sale about 100 mi from here. It's 352 pwr'd w/AC. No windbar though. Makes me wonder. It's got the two tone interior too. I thought most S/roofs had leather. Might go look at it next weekend. Like I really need (another) project. I'd almost prefer to just get another TB already done. Then keep pluggin away at the conv. Sunroof's ARE cool though. So rare.

Thanks for the help.

John Byers

Comment

• Rockin Kev
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Hi John,
        On the ROT Sheet if you can get hold of it for the sunroof car it should say along the top of it TOP and it will denoted with the number 5.
        This was designated to be shipped out with Golde for conversion.
        If the car has had the roof grafted on there is only two ways.
        Its been welded on along the waistline all around the car, or check for new welds around the front of the sunroof in the open position, and if possible remove a part of the front headliner and see if a new hole has been cut in the roof and the drain pan has been graffed and welded in.

Dont give up your search for your dream Squarebird i have mine at last after selling my 352 Golde for a fully loaded and full options list 430 Golde...they are out there.

Kev
        1960 430 Golde
        England.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

If the car has no windbar, it should have the holes for it drilled into the front stainless trim. If not, it is a fake. You need to take the sunroof apart to get at the computer card. I doubt anyone will let you do that. ROT sheets are found often under the passenger seat, behind the A/C box and under the rear seat cushion.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• pabob1960
            Apprentice
            • Apr 11 2004

ROT sheets are found under front and rear seat under the springs. That would be the first place to look.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Ok guys !! Thanks for all the advise. I will look further.
              Pretty funny though. 91 octane gas is about 2.80 per gal here, and I want a 430. I'm sure they only get about 8 MPG. My theory in Cars and Harley's and whatever is "No replacement for displacement"
              It's not like I'd commute in the thing. There's also a 430 pwr'd 59HT near here at my buddies radiator shop. It's rough though. Fresh engine, but the body IS beat up. Too much of a project. He wants 4K for it. I'll keep looking. But a 430J Sunroof IS the ultimate Thunderbird.

Speaking of San Jose Radiator. He built me a 4-row radiator for $275.00 for the 60 Conv. He also refit that Dearborn Classics fan shroud to fit properly. It's simple with the radiator out. Just relocate the holes in the upr radiator header and the lwr mounting flange bracket.
              Fit's like a glove.

JB

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Please post or send me pictures of your radiator and shroud installation.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Will do. It should be running tomorrow. One small kink. The expan tank I bought from Dottling TB (ebay) is the later ribbed style (which is what I wanted) But, the rad hose otl is 1 3/4 (not) 2" like the orig 1960 version. One little detail to consider when you update that. Need to ord hose for 62-65 full size Galaxie or Merc 352/390.

I sent you the ebay add for that 60 S/roof. I hope that's ok. I'd just like your opinion. I'm gonna probably go look at it this weekend. Sacramento is about 2 hrs from here. Bet it'll be 100 degrees there too. Oh well, we'll go in the air cond Tahoe. Anyhow, the guy had real low bids last time. He just re-posted it. It's probably a rust bucket.

Thanks Alexander !!!

John Byers

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎