No announcement yet.

Heater core question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater core question

I am in the process of doing my dash pad,so I thought to myself,self,you might want to check out the heater core while you have the dashboard off.Lo and behold it was bad.I got one from a site vendor,with the external valve.(I like that if I can figure out the logistics of the cable.)
    My real question is should I use any high temp silicone around the rubber gasket that the removable pipe sits on.
  • LuckyJay
    • Jan 4 2007

I'm looking at the same solution with the external control valve. The Heater core in my non A/C 60 Bird was replaced before me. I think the internal valve was eliminated (I took the cover off a month ago). The cable is still there but not connected (flopping free under the dash) . I'm thinking on getting an external valve and a longer cable, routing it thru the same opening in the firewall as the Vacuum line to the wipers. I think I would put the valve in the inlet hose to the heater which is I think is the lower one, if memory serves. Any adice from you guys would be appreciated.

Comment

Yes it is the lower one and I used the existing cable it was long enough to go thru the vacuum line holes and hook to the inlet line.I like the valve outside,it eliminates one more leak problem in the future.

Comment

• LuckyJay
        • Jan 4 2007

Thanks, That's what I needed to know. I agree on the one fewer leak in the car.

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

I installed this several years ago. No problems with it. If I recall when I bought the heater core and valve kit from Dottling, it came with the external valve and longer cable.
          Heater works good. I'd love to find a 2 sp blwr motor though.

Comment

Hay this is Jon out here in sunny Washington???????? and befor you go out and buy another core and that vlv that goes out into the engine bay you might just check out your heater core where the vlv attaches to it. It may just be that where the operating vlv attaches to the inlet pipe of the heater core that the gasket in that location might just be shot and leaking at that position.

I bought a new radiator and that vlv attachment that goes out into the engine bay but by the time I got the old radiator out the only thing wrong was that gasket that I spoke about befor.

I would take out the old radiator and have it tested to see how good it is and maybe just replace that old worn out gasket.

The radiator you have in there now will haft to be replaced with a new one if you decide to go with the vlv on the outside as the the configuration is alot different. Check your radiator out and check that gasket out you might just save yourself alot of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jon

PS. I would have used the new radiator but like I said befor my old one was almost brand new and just needed to be replaced.

Comment

Yes I had a prob with the new core,the little ridge where the gasket sits in was cracked.I ended up using the old gasket and the new one on top of it.I pressured tested it to 20PSI and it did not leak,so I am hoping for the best.Of course in Sunny Florida I will keep the valve closed about 360 days a year.

Comment

• tbirdave
                Apprentice
                • Jun 12 2006

Originally posted by TChicken
                I am in the process of doing my dash pad,so I thought to myself,self,you might want to check out the heater core while you have the dashboard off.Lo and behold it was bad.I got one from a site vendor,with the external valve.(I like that if I can figure out the logistics of the cable.)
                My real question is should I use any high temp silicone around the rubber gasket that the removable pipe sits on.
                I put silicone on mine about 2-3 years ago and have had no trouble. The key is to take your time and put on several coats. Save yourself some frustration and try it ou outside the car under the hook just hook up your hoses and let it run to temp and see if it leaks. Mush easier than putting it under the dash each time.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎