X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Cooling System Diagnostic Tools

I am going to post this info within this thread-

-Block-Chek™ is a complete combustion leak tester - CLICK HERE -

I will also ask poor Ray... ...to post some photos of other COOLING SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS, the system pressure tester being the most important.

Here are the pix of the additional diagnostic tools that Gary sent me... "Poor Ray"!

1) Cooling system (including cap) pressure check tool-

2) Shop air actuated cooling system flushing tool-

3) Coolant system refill tool (no air ingestion)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; May 16, 2013, 01:30 AM. Reason: Adding Pix

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected Post #26

I think Ford saw the error in their ways with the original expansion tank design. They later changed it to include ribs for better rigidity.

The 'smooth top' design flexed too much, even with low pressure, causing cracks and leaks. The top surface is about (10 X 6) 60 square inches. 7psi produces about 400 pounds of pressure on the seams. The tank tries to deform itself into a sphere (a ball).

'Leaking surge tank' is a very common complaint. Another complaint is, after being 'fixed' it doesn't last long before another leak develops. Again, it's in the design.

Ford used the correct materials (copper and brass, soldered with lead). If it were made of aluminum, I couldn't fix it and the tank would probably be tossed. Ford's only mistake was not adding enough strength to compensate for the flexing. I just recently returned JohnG's tank after I added three bronze rods that pierce through both top and bottom of the tank. The rod ends and are soldered with silver alloy for strength. This will stop flexing and should end all future leaks due to cracking seams.

I purposely left the tank unpainted to show all the areas of work and the repair methods I used. The idea is simple; the rods act like a bucket with you standing inside pulling on the handle to lift yourself up.

CLICK HERE to see JohnG's expansion tank.

In the last picture, notice the radiator cap pressure is 13 psi. That exerts about 780 pounds of pressure on the seams. I pressure tested this tank @ 19 psi with no leaks. This kind of system pressure is absolutely necessary to keep the boiling point high.

- Dave
      Most interesting and informative. I forgot to comment on it earlier.

I used to spend a lot of time at a LINC forum and did not know there was a problem with the early expansion tanks.

Was this just an FE problem or MEL also?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I don't know about the Lincolns or Mercurys. If Ford used the same parts on them, they must experience the same history.

It seems that these expansion tanks are notorious for leaking. Many of our members bought 'spare' tanks on eBay when they come up. To me, that failure rate is far too high. These brass tanks are easy to repair compared to modern aluminum construction.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

I should have said 59/60 430 JBIRD...

Comment

• triple60squares
            Experienced
            • Jan 25 2013

ok i admit i didnt read this whole thread but i am currently cleaning up my engine for a repaint and while im at it im changing the timing chainand gears so... i have my water pump off and it would probably be agreat idea to replace it since i dont know how long its been since its actually ran

ive been looking for a replacement water pump i see macs has a "new" one for about 130 my local advance auto cant get one

ive compared my 60s 352 pump with one from a later f/e they are different main thing is the length of the shaft

has any one here found a rebuilt one from someplace else?for a little less money or is there another alturnative?
            60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
            60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
            60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Water pump exchange

Keith, go down to the Advertisements Forum, and check the various Tbird parts houses. You might find a cheaper price.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

ROCKAUTO.COM
                1960 FORD THUNDERBIRD 5.8L 352cid V8 :
                Cooling System : Water Pump Price $62.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 58201 Reman. Includes Gasket - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order.

Originally posted by RockAuto
                5% Discount Code: 9C8D7FE146EA
                Expires: 8/14/2013

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Please note that orders using discount codes must be placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts...
                If you don't like that, Advance Auto Parts has a reman Part No. 58-201 for $54.00 + $5 core charge. NAPA probably has them as well, in your neighborhood. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

ROCKAUTO.COM

1960 FORD THUNDERBIRD 5.8L 352cid V8 :
                  Cooling System : Water Pump Price $62.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 58201 Reman. Includes Gasket - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order.

- Dave
                  This is the way to go IMO. You retain the original casting.

Comment

• triple60squares
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 25 2013

i checked at advance they had a listing but they couldnt get one

ill check some of the other parts stores around here

the rock auto price sounds good but i dont want to wait months to get mine back thats rediculous id like to have this bird running memmorial day weekend
                    60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
                    60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
                    60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Try NAPA. It's a little more expensive than Rock Auto but they usually have them in the warehouse.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• JohnG
                        John
                        • Jul 28 2003

Dave, I am looking at the RockAuto web page for the water pump. All I find is that I get a remanufactured pump from them, nothing about rebuilding mine. (58-201)

They only have a $3.60 core charge indicating they don't really need one very much. As it would cost me more than $3.60 to mail them mine, not worth the bother.

The rest of the information is most encouraging . . .but for the person who wants to re-use the original casting, this is in question.
                        1958 Hardtop
                        #8452 TBird Registry
                        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                        history:
                        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

John, that is correct. Now, add one to your cart and a 'NOTIFICATION' window pops up...

"Notification
                          A-1 CARDONE Part #58201 is available only through the manufacturer's Return & Rebuild service. Please see the note in the cart."

So by looking at their listing, it appears they have a pump on hand. Upon further investigation, they only collect your money then they direct you to ship to A1 Cardone.

When I searched for FE water pumps, I was really going for the rebuild kits so I could rebuild my own. Nope. There were posts all over the net from all the FE groups about how, not only are they unavailable but some pumps have different size castings for the bearings. That means you may get the wrong parts unless you rebuild a lot of pumps. It was far easier to find Y-block pumps and kits than for FE's. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
                            John
                            • Jul 28 2003

Ah! Thanks!

john
                            1958 Hardtop
                            #8452 TBird Registry
                            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                            history:
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

...which further adds confusion and begs another question:

Why on earth would there be any core charge if they are rebuilding MY pump?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 4 2005

There is usually a 352 water pump kit on ebay, both with and without the impeller. I've also got kits but no impeller.
                                Carl

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎