X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Need some transmission help

So here is the deal. Pulled the trans from our 65 White Bird since it was having issues with reverse. I have another transmission I picked up that appears to have been rebuilt and never used after.

So now to my problem, they are both Cruse Matics, but they have different shift linkage arms on the trans.

This is the one that was in the car...

This is the one I have that I planned to install.

So my question, will the linkage work? If not how does one change it?

Thanks for the help
    RustyNCA
  • KULTULZ

R U sure both are in the same select position (gear)?

If so, can you post the tag I.D. Nos. These old eyes cannot pull them out.

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by KULTULZ
      R U sure both are in the same select position (gear)?

If so, can you post the tag I.D. Nos. These old eyes cannot pull them out.
      I am pretty sure I had them both in the same select position. Here are all the part numbers I got of both transmission.

The one I was planning to use: C5MP-7006A Tag on the trans PFA B 130765
      another number CL221. I also wrote down PBK-7651-C and IP-77823-N.

The one I pulled: C5MP-7006A Tag on the tans PCE BJ 058994 another number was 5C30:

I guess I was getting tired of writing down numbers when I got the the one I pulled, since I wrote down fewer numbers....

I found a post I did on here when I picked up the replacement trans, guess the guy I got it from said it was from a 62 TBird.

Thanks
      RustyNCA

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by RustyNCa

I am pretty sure I had them both in the same select position. Here are all the part numbers I got of both transmission.

The one I was planning to use:

Tag on the trans PFA B 130765 another number CL221. I also wrote down PBK-7651-C and IP-77823-N.

The one I pulled: Tag on the tans PCE BJ 058994 another number was 5C30:

I found a post I did on here when I picked up the replacement trans, guess the guy I got it from said it was from a 62 TBird.
        PCE-BJ is from a 65/66 BIRD MX (MERC-O-MATIC)

PFA-B is from (originally) a 1967 FORD MX.

So that would explain the manual lever differences. The levers can be interchanged (should be) (within exact trans series) by dropping the valve body and exchanging the levers.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

PCE-BJ is from a 65/66 BIRD MX (MERC-O-MATIC)

PFA-B is from (originally) a 1967 FORD MX.

So that would explain the manual lever differences. The levers can be interchanged (should be) (within exact trans series) by dropping the valve body and exchanging the levers.
          Hmm, so is that a fairly simple process, IE, for someone with maybe slightly above the ave garage mechanic?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Hmm, so is that a fairly simple process, IE, for someone with maybe slightly above the ave garage mechanic?
            You have your shop manual, correct? You might surprise yourself...

I would trust it to an older trans tech as he will (should) know what will and what won't once he opens it.

You know that the replacement trans is good? When you are dealing with trans of this age, it might be more economical to have the original gone through.

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

You have your shop manual, correct? You might surprise yourself...

I would trust it to an older trans tech as he will (should) know what will and what won't once he opens it.

You know that the replacement trans is good? When you are dealing with trans of this age, it might be more economical to have the original gone through.
              I don't know if it's good, but it appears to have been rebuilt. It has been painted and when I cracked it open, the inside is way to clean. Think.... it is spotless clean inside with a new filter and new seals, etc. That and when I asked a local trans shop to look at the trans I pulled (before I pulled it) he told me the case was broke, he would need to find a core to rebuild it. I personally haven't noted where the case is broke, but he said it was common on these.

I have rebuilt manual trans before just following the manual, but for some reason autos scare me....

Cheers
              RustyNCA

Comment

• KULTULZ

I asked a local trans shop to look at the trans I pulled (before I pulled it) he told me the case was broke, he would need to find a core to rebuild it. I personally haven't noted where the case is broke, but he said it was common on these.

I have rebuilt manual trans before just following the manual, but for some reason autos scare me....

Cheers

RustyNCA
                You have a case, the takeout. Both have CASTING I.D. NOS. C5MP 7006, correct?

The case cracks due to the operator putting it in DR before coming to a full stop after R. There is a fix-it kit.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 3 2011

I don't know if this is good stuff or not but I ran across it a while ago.

If I were to rebuild an auto, I would consider getting some of his stuff. He also has DVDs on 8.8 and 9" rear ends. T5 also.

Trans Info FAQs:

Is anyone familiar with this?
                  Jim
                  Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                  sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

GOOD SOURCE!, but he does not have the CRUISEO or the FOM.

Professional overhaul manuals for any type AT are available.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Tech Bulletin

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Automatic trans rebuilds should be left to EXPERIENCED transmission guys. They will save you money by getting the job done fast, they have parts sources, and they have all the special tools needed for teardown and reassembly.

Experienced transmission guys can rebuild them in the dark, much like a GI breaks down his weapon and reassembles it. They know what components should look like and what trouble spots to look for. Upon completion, they bench-test the functions, and you get a written warranty.

If this is your first teardown, do it with a camera and an experienced transmission buddy. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

You have a case, the takeout. Both have CASTING I.D. NOS. C5MP 7006, correct?

The case cracks due to the operator putting it in DR before coming to a full stop after R. There is a fix-it kit.
                          You really need to save the old trans as hard parts for them are starting to become scarce.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Well, left the transmissions at a trans shop this morning. They have a guy there that has a tbird and likes working on slipamatics. So he is going to look at them, and move the shift linkage between the two, and look at them to let me know what he thinks of them.

Cheers
                            RustyNCA

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎