No announcement yet.

Stock 352 holley carb problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock 352 holley carb problem

I noticed that my choke was not working in my bird. I removed the choke housing and discovered that the spring end that is curved and locked into the center of the housing is broke. My question is there anyone that just sells the spring and choke housing? I could ix it myself without rebuilding the whole thing if I could get the parts. There is a plastic lip that the spring end goes into it's broke as well.

I had my carb. rebuilt at pony Carb. I think they will sell you that part but not sure. I remember something about (and they said they don't make that any more) But do they have them??????????? not sure.

Comment

• KULTULZ

The choke housing you need is Basic PN 9848. To get the correct one, you cross your Carb I.D. No. in the MPC for the complete PN. I have the MPC back to 1960 but if you have an earlier BIRD, you will have to find someone with the 49/59 MPC.

I do have a NOS from a 58 HOLLEY, but I do not know if it is correct w/o the catalog.

Comment

• vernz
        Experienced
        • Jul 12 2008

Kultulz...What does MPC stand for? Does that give specific part numbers rather than generic numbers? And finally, where can I get one?

Vern

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by vernz

Kultulz...What does MPC stand for? Does that give specific part numbers rather than generic numbers? And finally, where can I get one?

Vern
          Sorry...

MPC is the short for The Master Parts Catalog which will give you the origional FORD Service PN to make looking for NOS easier.

Do you see any alpha character code(s) (usually two characters) on the cap itself? I am pretty sure I have the correct one here if it is a HOLLEY.

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

I thought the 430's came with Carter carbs in stock form, & the 352cid's came with Ford carb's. When did Holley become an OE option??

-Jon
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Hmm... Good Point

Originally posted by tbird430

I thought the 430's came with Carter carbs in stock form, & the 352cid's came with Ford carb's. When did Holley become an OE option??

-Jon
              The 58/59 LINC had a HOLLEY 4V. MERC used all three carbs. I was just a s s-u-ming that the gentleman has a HOLLEY, but it may be that it is a replacement carb.

Can you post the List No. (from the carb air inlet flange) to be certain what we are working with?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Here we go-

Above is an excerpt from the 49/59 FORD MPC showing a BIRD (character S) was available with either a HOLLEY or a FORD 4100.

Comment

carb

yes, it is a holley and no it has never been changed.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2005

What year and engine do you have? The Holley has a number on the airhorn. Post all the numbers and we can get you the exact part number (the choke covers are not all the same). Note that no 1960 Thunderbirds came with a Holley (maybe you have more than one bird?). Hawkrod

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

In "birdbrains" defense, he did say it was a 352cid Bird. I guess that means the Holley carb that came on my parents 1958 Bird could be OE then; I had just always presumed the Ford carb had been replaced at some point in time. My parents are the 3rd owners- 2nd owner bought it from his brother-in-law (who purchased the car new).
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by tbird430
                        In "birdbrains" defense, he did say it was a 352cid Bird. I guess that means the Holley carb that came on my parents 1958 Bird could be OE then; I had just always presumed the Ford carb had been replaced at some point in time. My parents are the 3rd owners- 2nd owner bought it from his brother-in-law (who purchased the car new).
                        Just post the numbers from the air horn, There are either two or three rows of numbers. Three rows means it is an OEM carb (but could be off of something else), the second row is the Holley list number and the last row is the date code (which can tell you if it has been replaced even if it has the right part number!). Hawkrod

Comment

carb numbers

Originally posted by Hawkrod
                          What year and engine do you have? The Holley has a number on the airhorn. Post all the numbers and we can get you the exact part number (the choke covers are not all the same). Note that no 1960 Thunderbirds came with a Holley (maybe you have more than one bird?). Hawkrod
                          I am going down to my garage tomorrow and I will get those numbers for you. When the choke was working proper the car would start after sitting on the first revolution. I have the exhaust flap on the passenger side, this along with the choke made this car start quik and warm up quickly as well. I want it to return to that.

Comment

Holley carb number

I finally got my bird out of the garage, I have the numbers off the carb
                            List 1850
                            I noticed that this carb has a steel line for the vac.advance, it also has the heat transfer tube in place. This is why I thought it was not a transplant. My question is will it be easy to get the choke housing so I can have easy starts in the winter? Thanks in advance

Comment

• protourbird
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 29 2008

The list 1850 is a very common carburetor in the aftermarket. At one time it was the most popular and is a 600CFM rating. The parts should be easy to find.
                              sigpic
                              Jim

protourbird

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎