X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmjsong1aolcom
    Experienced
    • Mar 31 2004

Vent window frame crack

The metal used on these is cast zinc and from most of us are told one cannot weld these back together. (called pot metal or white metal)

Sandwiching between 2 pieces of steel might work but once done nothing can move or the crack will continue. No recommended by me.

Best is to find good used one as all 3 years are the same.

Good Luck
    Fuz
    58's&64's
    Sun Prairie, Wi.
    tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
      Experienced
      • Mar 31 2004

Removing window Rollers

Dakota Boy got it. But you removed all the bolts so have complicated the job. If the window goes up and down? do so very carefully untill the roller clip is a bit more accessable. the clip can be removed with needle nose pliers.

Reassembly can be dealt with in later posts when you get ready.

As for the rollers they are not stainless steel but galvanized steel or zinc plated steel. Do not buy the new rollers unless rthey are metal. The plastic ones have too much give.

Fuz

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tmjsong1aolcom
        ...Sandwiching between 2 pieces of steel might work but once done nothing can move or the crack will continue. Not recommended by me.

Best is to find good used one as all 3 years are the same...
        Not recommended by me either. Zinc is crap.

This piece is a simple shape. If you can operate a lathe, you could certainly fabricate another of these using steel flat stock. Make the bushing on your lathe and weld it in position.

The window bushings are much easier than they look. You can fight with them all day or pull the little clip out. Putting the arms back together is simple... just push the pins into the rollers. When you get to proper depth, the clip will keep the rollers in the bottom channels.

The dished washers can be made from common stainless steel flat washers. Anders, you can make a forming punch and die on your lathe. I did it on a smaller scale for #8 trim screw washers. When you hit the punch with a hammer, the washer will form into the tapered cavity. The washer's inside hole diameter will expand, so start with the washer hole slightly smaller than the desired finished part. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Just an update how it looks at the moment. Just the door handles and Iīm ready for grinding down the paint. This is fun!
          Attached Files
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Pic of "My vision" ,my "Pearlcrafted" steering wheel and some test objects for laminated plexi for all knobs and stalks
            Attached Files

Comment

• Restifier52
              Experienced
              • Jul 26 2011

Hey Anders that is swee-eet! I love that mild custom look with big scallops (Larry Watson paint stlye right?) - it's perfect.
              Rick
              1960 HT
              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Thankīs
                Yes. Itīs a "Watson paint". ( My pic is a Photochop of his car ) But I will have green where he had purple. Not only do I realy like the design, but I also like the fact that itīs "period correct" as Larry Watson painted his car like this already in 1958. He took his brand new car to the Barris garage and shaved off some emblems and the door handles, got a set of Dodge Lancer hubcaps, added the "Lakewood side pipes", lowered it a bit, added "Appleton" lights and modyfied bumper horns and then painted it pearl white on a silver base. Then he took it out and found out it was just to bright to look at. He then masked the fields and added the Purple/Burgundy Candy, and voila!, The "Panel paint" was invented.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Finally time to grind. Tough job, but fun as I donīt find any rust
                  Attached Files

Comment

• keith
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2010

Anders,

Try a heat gun and a razor blade scraper. No dust and you won't thin the metal down by grinding.

Sand off what you can't scrap off. Clean metal with a good wax and grease remover and put 2 coats of epoxy primer on it. This will give you a great base to work from.
                    Keith
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    sigpic
                    CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Hi,
                      Realy? If you say so, I will try of course. Right now I use 3M Blue Scotch-Brite, and it is VERY gentle. I can actually see deformations ( bolder lines ) in the sheet metal from the factory under my scratches. I am very, very careful. I got this tips from another guy here who are a car painter. I only use around 2000 r/min so the sheet donīt get warm. I can hold my hand on it and it just feel cozy warm
                      Will buy wax & grease remover. I already have the epoxy primer waiting.
                      How does it go with the door handle sheet metal? Iīm eager to start cut!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Anders; January 6, 2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• keith
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 13 2010

Those work good. I just hate breathing the dust and the mess it leaves.

I'm just have a few things left to do on the Merc and then I will get back on the bird and get the panels made for you.

Your projects looks great so far. I'm envious of the lack of rust and no previous body damage. That makes such a faster job.
                        Keith
                        Sedalia, Mo.
                        sigpic
                        CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by keith
                          Those work good. I just hate breathing the dust and the mess it leaves.

I'm just have a few things left to do on the Merc and then I will get back on the bird and get the panels made for you.

Your projects looks great so far. I'm envious of the lack of rust and no previous body damage. That makes such a faster job.
                          Phu! Thanks. But I will try your way tomorrow just to see how it works. Sounds like a real good idea for the roof at least. I have no problem with "breathing the dust" as I use a new mask.
                          This job will not be very fast, due to the reason that I do it Itīs a first thing for me here, haha. There is 1 little rust though. Like 1 inch on the part between the trunk and the rear glass. Thatīs it. Iīm amazed how nice it is. No body damage except some "dimps" and a lot of small wobbeling.
                          Looking forward to the parts!!

Edit: Kieth, You donīt think there is any risk of the metal to warp if I use a heatgun?
                          Last edited by Anders; January 7, 2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Restifier52
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 26 2011

Anders this is exciting. I just love the way your car is going to look! Best of luck. I was fortunate to have a virtually rust free car too.
                            1960 HT
                            Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• kuusamon
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 14 2009

all I can say is wow, I am glad I have not decided on a color for my car yet, all options are still open.
                              I talked to Tero (fireball) here in Finland and he suggested for my car 'Soda blasting' I think I go for that, a lot of advantages vs sand blasting etc. I do not have that much rust so no need to strip the bond etc, just the paint when I come to that point.
                              Anybody else have experience with soda blasting?
                              regards,
                              ronald
                              sigpicGreets,
                              Ronald
                              Kuusamo
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• Anders
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jan 19 2008

Too expensive for me. And then much more need to be taken apart. Apart from that, this is my hobby, so I kind of enjoy do and learn as much as possible myself. I have no wish what so ever to take it to shows or anything, so if itīs not perfect, itīs fine.

I sand it down to the bare metal as I donīt trust that the new paint will stick good on the old. My car have been repainted once before sometimes in the past, quite a crappy job to be honest. It looks good on pictures but not in real , and it have a lot of chipping where it seems as it never realy worked with the original paint.
                                Last edited by Anders; January 7, 2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎