• Show
Clear All
  • redrinky
    • May 22 2009

430 j 59 ht

Recently I purchased a near rust free 59 hard top Thunderbird
    with a code of J. The auto has a 352 installed and the original
    motor mounts have been removed. This is of some concern but
    I am sure that i can fabricate them however how hard is it going to be finding a 430 engine? Please help if you can and thank you.

The old man
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

There are 430 engines out there, the question is where. The closer you can find one to you the better to save on freight costs. I think there may be some differences in 430s depending on the application (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln, Thunderbird) and some contributors to this forum can tell you what they are if any.

I would start with a local older vehicle recycler. If they don't have one, then get them to go on their hot line to see if they can locate one for you. If not, then try places such as Thunderbird Ranch or Turner's Auto Wrecking. The freight costs could be a killer. I think you should assume that you will have to rebuild it to get a decent engine and this can be very expensive, probably at least $5K! I had mine rebuilt last year and it was even more than that- ouch! Good luck.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• redrinky
      • May 22 2009

To Howard the Tinkerer

Thank you for the information I have written every thing down and will follow your help after the week end. I do hope that an other contributor will tell me the difference in 430 engines.

The Old Man

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 j 59 ht

Hi Robert,

I did a search on "430 engine", using the Search button in the black bar above. There are a number of good posts that showed up regarding the 430 engine. I suspect your '59 has a 352 in it because someone might have been having problems finding parts for a 430, which is a less common engine. Alexander, one of the founders of this Forum, had a lot to say about the 430. It is hard to find parts for one and when you do, they are more expensive. He describes how to tell a 430 from a 352 and shows a picture of a 352 so you can see the differences. There are differences in location of some of the components on a 430 vs a 352 also. Like the expansion tank on a 430 is position toward the rear of the engine well on the left side instead of parallel to the radiator as shown in the picture for a 352. There are other posts that you might want to look through that you will find in that search. Also, it was suggested to go through the posts on the 430 MEL Forum and look for pictures and more information there. Here is one series of posts that you might look at.

The 430 engine was planned for the 1958 Thunderbird, but was only used in the 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds. This forum is for the discussion of this Mercury - Edsel - Lincoln engine.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

Hi Robert:
          A couple of other things to think about. First of all, the 430 is part of a family of engines- something like 383, 407, 430, 462. One of the distinguishing aspects of these engines is the location of the fuel pump- up front above the fan pulley, beside the distributor. I posted a diagram of the 430 engine in an earlier thread called "Is this engine a 430?" - I think the diagram is on the first page of that thread.

Another point is that Ford also made other engines of nearly the same size as the 430 - i.e. the 429, 428 and I think 427. These are all from different families of engines so don't believe someone who says that they are the same.
          Last edited by Howard Prout; May 23, 2009, 12:00 PM.
          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• redrinky
            • May 22 2009

Dear ken
            Many years ago I stood as a young man With torch in one hand and a wrench in the other, building old cars into hot rods I could rebuild engines,transmissions ,port and releve chop and channele and paint.----- One day a young lady taped me on the shoulder and said "hay hot shot" what you need is a house and kids to love and raise,bills to pay a job,worry and not to worry and you cant do all that without me.---- Well I went into the cold curl world and said here I am. Well some 50 years later that same ladie taped me on the shoulder and said what you need now is a torch in one hand and a wrench in the other and an old car to rebuild.

Well just a few years after that I have several Tbirds cars that like me were ready for the junk heap. I watch patiantly as thay come back to life looking younger and younger with each small change each day. ---- My point is to rebuild is all the joy to buy is easy and wave to all the smiling people on the road.

For me the work is the joy and like me Tbirds I to am getting younger and younger each passing day.

Great to hear from you and THANKS.
            The Old Man.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 j 59 ht

To The Old Man, from another Old Man! I loved your explanation of what happened when you were tapped on the shoulder by that certain young woman... and 50 years later when she tapped you on the shoulder again and told you that you should take up your torch and wrench again! Thanks for sharing!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• redrinky
                • May 22 2009

Dear ken
                Many years ago I stood as a young man With torch in one hand and a wrench in the other, building old cars into hot rods I could rebuild engines,transmissions ,port and releve chop and channele and paint.----- One day a young lady taped me on the shoulder and said "hay hot shot" what you need is a house and kids to love and raise,bills to pay a job,worry and not to worry and you cant do all that without me.---- Well I went into the cold curl world and said here I am. Well some 50 years later that same ladie taped me on the shoulder and said what you need now is a torch in one hand and a wrench in the other and an old car to rebuild.

Well just a few years after that I have several Tbirds cars that like me were ready for the junk heap. I watch patiantly as thay come back to life looking younger and younger with each small change each day. ---- My point is to rebuild is all the joy to buy is easy and wave to all the smiling people on the road.

For me the work is the joy and like me Tbirds I to am getting younger and younger each passing day.

Great to hear from you and THANKS.
                The Old Man.

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Think I've read that story before. Enjoy the restoration.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎