X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Vacuum lines

There is a vacuum line that goes through a large rubber grommet in the firewall along with the ac lines. What is it supposed to connect to under the dash? I don't remember if it was connected to anything when I started taking everything apart. The wipers already have one hose connected. What else is vacuum operated? I can't make any sense out of my manual or the illustrated parts book when it comes to the vacuum system. It's obvious some things have been changed from the original configuration. There was nothing connected to the top of the fuel pump. The brake booster is connected to the top of the manifold along with the wipers. I believe the carb and spacer are off of a 63 mustang or something with the spacer connected to the rear of the manifold through a pcv valve. Well now that I've rambled on I hope somebody can help me get this set up so it will operate properly. I'll post pics.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most likely it's for the vacuum operated windshield washers. The pump was mounted on the generator but most times it's taken off and thrown away.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Hazegray53
      Apprentice
      • Jan 9 2015

Here are some pics. I think I'm missing all components for the washer spray so I don't even know what that would look like. Did they have a connection under the dash for the washers?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's the parts diagram.

John
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hazegray53
          Apprentice
          • Jan 9 2015

Ok obviously I have none of those parts so either it was all taken out or it was never there. Is there supposed to be a separate knob or control to turn on the washer fluid? All I have is a wiper knob and I don't see anything on the dash missing.

Comment

• Hazegray53
            Apprentice
            • Jan 9 2015

Found it! The hose connects to a vacuum switch for the ac damper door. Not sure what that does but I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point. Now I just need to figure out where all these disconnected wires go. There's at least 10.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Windshield washers were optional so if you don't have the squirters on the cowl then your car didn't come with it.

John

Comment

• Hazegray53
                Apprentice
                • Jan 9 2015

Yeah that seems to be the case. So what about the vacuum connections on top of the fuel pump? Do I need to use those or will everything work the way I have it connected?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎