X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Interior work started

Pulled the seats out today and found the driver foam all over the place, see pictures. My new seat covers have a slightly different tone, will have to vinyl die the door panels and arm rest to match, still not sure where to get the paint but I am working on it.
    Attached Files
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158

Hey Tom,
    Keep the pictures coming!!!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Yellowbird
      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Tom,
      I have to agree with Richard, please keep the pictures coming for those of us who still have this job ahead of us!

Leonard
      sigpic

Comment

• Coral
        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

The foam degrading and matching colors is completely normal, and everyone can commiserate!
        Vinyl dies are easy enough to locate however, so wait on THAT panic attack, LOL

Congratulations on your endeavor!

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Gold Bird
          Pulled the seats out today and found the driver foam all over the place...
          Check out Foam N More in Troy, Michigan. All the designers go there to have custom foam made in just about any density you want. You can bring your pieces in, and they will cut the foam for you (same day). - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Gold Bird
            Experienced
            • Nov 9 2007

Thanks to Jed I have the back seat foam ready to go! I spoke with Thunderbird HQ in California, they told me there foam is top quality and will really make the seats like new. Hope they are right......I ordered a set yesterday.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Interior work started

Hi Tom! Your interior work is starting and mine is ending. I have not posted anything in the last few days because there really have not been any pictures that I want to show you just yet.. Danny is doing re-painting of that dashpad area that soaked up the paint and got it this time. Also those metal pieces that go between the end of the dashpad and the windshield. Also the crack in my dashpad is being repaired.

But enough of my work. Now for yours. As I recall, Danny told me when he wants to match paints to material, he sends a piece of the material he wants matched to his paint supplier. They match the paint to the material perfectly. You might want to take them one of your seat covers to match paint with, providing they are not all on yet. They should be able to do it while you wait. Especially if you let them know in advance that you are coming to get a paint matched. I will be seeing Danny tomorrow again and will ask him. In fact I will call him in the morning to see what he says. I know he likes SEM paints. That is about all he will use.

I see you had the same problem with your drivers seat that I had with all that "popcorn" under the seat. As I said in my web page, only the drivers seat was like that because it is the one seat that gets most of the wear and tear. I hope you have the same good luck I have had in my interior job. Actually, it was not luck at all. It was the skill of a master craftsman in Danny, who turned 63 today! I took him and his wife to lunch.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• fomoco59
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 10 2005

Boy, Tom.. does that look familiar, right down to the flashlight! One good thing about black and white interiors.. pretty easy to match!
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                Mike Lemmon
                '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Are you looking for your ROT sheet too, or do you already have yours out?

-Jon
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Gold Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 9 2007

Sorry to say the ROT sheet is not around, Dad had the carpet replaced a long time ago and who knows what happened to it. Anything I should know about removing the console, looks pretty easy........I am going to stop by the paint store today about mixing the two colors for vinyl paint.

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Interior work started

I just checked a few things with Danny for you. The SEM paint that I show on my web page is what Danny swears by when it comes to painting. He said what I had already said. If you have a car seat cover not in place yet, take it with you to the paint supplier and have him match the color of that seat. He said it is much easier to paint the door panels and you don't want to paint the seats if you can help it. It will wear off, especially where you sit.

As for taking the center console off, it is not difficult. Make sure you get everything disconnected and marked so you know what goes where in the way of electrical connections when you put it back in place. Getting it back on is more difficult than getting it off he said.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Gold Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Nov 9 2007

Thanks Ray, Hopefully my auto paint place will have the SEM brand, sounds like good stuff. Should be much easier to paint the door panels, rear arm rests and quarter trim with the seats out. Too bad that the color does not match, but after all they are almost 50 years old, just like me!

Comment

• Yellowbird
                          Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Tom,
                          The website for SEM paint is www.semproducts.com
                          They do not show anyone in the Michigan area. Contact them to see how they can help you.

Leonard
                          sigpic

Comment

• Gold Bird
                            Experienced
                            • Nov 9 2007

Thanks for the link to SEM paints, will check them out tonight.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎