View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Slow Typist
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Tom, I'm glad to hear you got your lights straight and everything is good, now.
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
...First, the previouse owner(s) broke or cut the front turn signal/parking light wires and spliced them back together incorrectly causeing the wrong filiment to light on the drivers side. That caused the difference in light intensity between left and right.
Two conditions would present themselves, the front parking lights would have been vastly different in brightness and the left/right turn signals would have flashed at different rates.

...The failure of the turn signals to work at all was due to an unterminated wire at the fuse on the back of the light switch.
I supplied a good wiring diagram with wire colors. If you start troubleshooting at the steering column bullet connectors (which are easy to find) all of the lights could be tested right there. The green (hot with the brake pedal depressed) and blue wires feed the column and all the lamps. Both wires either show power or they don't. Evidently you found one to be dead, so you went to the fuse.

...Once this wire was connected properly three out of four signal lights worked. The passenger side rear turn signal did not work until I traced the voltage back to the new turn signal switch and found that if I manipulated the signal switch by hand, pressing it further by hand than the turn signal stem/switch naturally did, the passenger side rear signal would work. Which means that I must decide if I want to slightly press up on the turn signal stem to activate the passenger side (right) rear turn signal each time I want to signal a right turn or pull the new signal switch out and send it back in the hopes of getting a replacement that works properly. Hope this makes sense to the reader. Tomfoolery.
The new signal switch should work flawlessly, provided the plate was mounted correctly and it isn't burned out from overcurrent. Overcurrent usually happens when someone adds trailer lights to the system and it usually happens in the turn signal portion of the plate.
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca