Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure what that electrical part is. The wiring is not factory and Ford didn't have anything in their cars that was made in France. The flasher should be on the right side of the steering column behind the dash. If you can't find it you may have to trace the wire that comes off the back of the headlight switch where the fuse is.
    That black unit with the handle is the vent. It should have a plastic knob on it but they usually break or fall off. If it's frozen than try some WD-40 or other penetrating oil.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Issues with electronics

You can probably get that plastic ball that is missing from Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here.. Carl has lots of Squarebirds parts and also has Squarebird parts cars...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

MIXO Neuilly-Seine is a company that makes horns and relays.

Check next to your voltage regulator for a horn relay. It should be there with a short power wire connected between the voltage regulator and the horn relay. The Blue/Yellow wire goes to your steering column for the horn ring. Grounding this wire blows the horn.

Evidently, someone didn't know how to fix the horn so they added a very expensive relay.
        Attached Files
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Superplastik
          • Feb 22 2016

Ok thanks for the info again guys!
          Well, that relay would have been great if it actually made the horn work :-D Guess I'll have to find out how to make it work.

Comment

• Superplastik
            • Feb 22 2016

Fixed the grounding issue on the reverse lights, they are working now :-)
            Someone didn't screw down the lights in the chrome, preventing a ground.
            I took another look for the flasher unit, couldn't find it, guess they are missing :-( Vent is opening and closing now.
            Next step is fixing the brake lights.

Also, does anyone know what this is? It's attached to the vent box (front driver, under dasg).

Thanks!

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Superplastik
              Fixed the grounding issue on the reverse lights, they are working now :-)
              Someone didn't screw down the lights in the chrome, preventing a ground.
              I took another look for the flasher unit, couldn't find it, guess they are missing :-( Vent is opening and closing now.
              Next step is fixing the brake lights.

Also, does anyone know what this is? It's attached to the vent box (front driver, under da

Thanks!
              Looks like something to do with the radio but....You've made me now want to crawl around under my dash and look!
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's the power supply/amp for the radio. The part in the dash is basically just a tuner.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Issues with electronics

Scott, I can save you the problem of getting under your dash to look at the radio power supply/Amplifier. Here are a couple of pix of what mine looks like when I was under the dash when we were re-doing the interior and the wiring..
                  Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Superplastik
                    • Feb 22 2016

Yep that's it. Couldn't find the wires, it's one big mess :-( Have to clean it up too!

Comment

• Superplastik
                      • Feb 22 2016

Another question: is there any way to remove the chrome center dashboard part without the need to remove the rest? I want to be able to get to my headlight switch without the need to remove the whole dashboard...
                      Thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You don't need to remove the dash panel to get the headlight switch out. Just remove the knob and the bezel and the switch will come right out from the back.

John

Comment

• Superplastik
                          • Feb 22 2016

Never mind! It's monday!
                          Last edited by Superplastik; February 29, 2016, 02:56 PM. Reason: Monday bluea

Comment

• Superplastik
                            • Feb 22 2016

So I have been busy the last two weeks :-p

Someone has been messing with the wiring big time unfortunately (changed colors, changed wiring) so it's more of an adventure to figure out how everything is connected. For example: one connector ia currently not used on the headlight switch. Many connectors were already damaged and needed a replacement. Many wires were connected directly by using duct tape, ...
                            I managed to change the backup light to the A connector on the headlight switch, so it always works. I succeeded at making the rear lights work, but only when the first stand is selected on the headlight switch. Still need to figure out how to connect it properly without a chance of blowing the headlight switch up. I have an idea how to make it work (=> H connector is not being used) but I'm afraid of just connecting BOTH the first and second stand of the headlight switch directly to the backup lights. Thanks for the help, you guys been a great help already!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Did you disconnect a battery lead before following John's suggestion? Did you download a wiring diagram from our TRL?

If so to both questions, your headlight switch is hanging down and all the wires are exposed. Do you understand the color scheme?

The wiring diagram shows a:
                              RED/YELLOW wire is connected to "H"
                              BLACK/YELLOW wire is connected to "P"
                              BLACK wire is connected to "R"

If you jumper P to R, your front and rear running lights (tail & parking) will come on and stay on as soon as you pull the headlight switch.
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Superplastik
                                • Feb 22 2016

Yep, I understand the color scheme and downloaded the wiring scheme from the TLR.
                                The battery has been disconnectee when I removed the headlight switch, to prevent any accident.
                                I'll try that, hope it works!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎