Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 birdman
    • Aug 25 2014

Rack and pinion steering

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a rack and pinion conversion for a 1960 Squarebird? I have searched most of the on-line people to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Leonard
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rack and pinion steering

I do not know of any company that is making a rack and pinion set up for the Squarebird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I have heard some talk about the rack and pinon setups not holding up due to the weight and loads of the TBird. Does anyone have any prior experience with this?
      Nyles

Comment

Nyles:

You can reach me at roger4a1ward@aol.com or at rogerbhp@yahoo.com. It was good talking to you.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
          Experienced
          • Jun 20 2012

Not sure if they do the Squarebird solutions but you may wanna check these:

and

Comment

• 60 birdman
            • Aug 25 2014

Rack and pinion for squarebird

Thanks for the info. I will do some checking with the company's listed.
            Leonard

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Mbazzone added power rack and pinion to his Squarebird. Fabrication skills are required but if you can lay out two plates that bolt onto your original steering gear and idler arm frame holes, and do a little welding, all the other components can be purchased. Check out this picture
              from his post #13

See the plates with three new bolts, bolted to the frame, on the far LH edge of the picture?

These 1/4" plates take less space than the original steering setup, which offers more room for exhaust pipes and yes, catalytic converters, if used.

This is clearly a used/rebuilt rack and pinion gear, available at most auto parts stores all across America, for under a hundred bucks. Does this gear look familiar?

This is a Rockauto.com photo.
              It fits a Chevy Corsica (A-1 CADONE Part # 22109), and it is VERY reliable and perfect for this application. Just about any modern PS pump will power it, like a pump from a Mustang. The hydraulic fittings are standard "AN" fittings and the steering shaft fits (AFCO, Borgeson, Sweet or Unisteer) 'U'-joints. Tie rods can be purchased from Speedwaymotors.com for under $30/each:
              - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎