Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benfisher
    • Dec 8 2011

59 Rear suspension shackles

Hello all, This may sound like a extremely simple question, however here goes. I have a 59 hardtop J code (430) and was talking to a buddy of mine. He says the rear shackles are on backwards. The eyelets of the springs at the rear are below the hangers, Bob says they should be between the frame and the hangers, If that is so, it would lower the car about 5 inches. Am I off base here? I have been trying to find ANY pictures of the rear suspension, of course the manual doesn't have a picture of the hangers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards: Ben.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My '59 is the same way. It seems to be a common solution for sagging springs or worn shocks or just raising the rear. I've had it on a number of old cars that I've owned. It makes working under the car much easier, that's for sure. I'll keep mine that way until I'm finished then I'll turn them around.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

The way they came from the factory had the eyelets above the hangers. But I always preferred to flip the shackles to get that extra lift in the rear. I just always preferred the raked look. I started doing that to almost every car I owned back in the late 50's and 60's.

I just put new rear springs in my 59 last week and I had them installed with the eyelet below the hangers. Just a personal preference.

Comment

• benfisher
        • Dec 8 2011

shackle response

Thank you for your response, interesting how some people prefer the look (rake) of different vehicles. I do like the stance of my car as she sits now. I went out to buy new hangers for her today, but maybe I will leave her the way she stands.
        Again, thank you for your feed back.
        Regards: Ben.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎