X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

convertible top hoses

Almost my top working, so I thought!, but not, seems after checking that one of my top hoses is missing. the hose that connects for the solenoid valve to the bottom of the top cylinders. The other hose connecting from the other solenoid valve to the top of the top cylinders is slightly leaking.

The hoses for the deck cylinders are fine, no chipping and still flexible.
    Now I see on the net or stores or ebay that the complete hose set for a 58 or a 59 are way cheaper than for a '60? what is the difference? are they missing the deck cylinders and have the deck lift done by electric servo's?.

I am trying locally if there is anybody here that makes hydraulic hoses so I can have them quickly.
    Any suggestions on the hoses and the difference for the 59 and 60 models?

regards
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

I would think that any industrial hydraulics shop should be able to make hoses for you - if they have SAE fittings. The ones around here have both SAE and Metric fittings because we live in a mixed system environment - so two sets of everything.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• kuusamon
      Experienced
      • Feb 14 2009

Thanks Howard,
      Those SAE fittings...
      I found someone who can renew the hoses fairly cheap and good here possibly using the old fittings, but for the missing hose it will be difficult to find the fittings.
      Anyone know the exact size of the fittings? Since all cylinders are still original in my car they will then be SAE wouldn't it? I checked with existing hose here locally for brakes for European cars and the thread seems finer for those. Anyone having an old couple leaky hoses laying around that I could have?

I have seen new sets by parts dealers in the US for a $100 which sounds fair but those are for the '59, the ones available for the '60 are a whooping $295 which gives me some space to have them made here locally. a new set for a 100 I wouldn't bother but in this case.
      Are there any fitting adapters from metric to SAE?
      regards
      Last edited by kuusamon; December 8, 2009, 12:56 PM. Reason: additional info
      sigpicGreets,
      Ronald
      Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

I did some checking on the net, I found some information that I hope is correct, was not easy to find.
        Could it be correct that the fittings are SAE 3/8 (male)?

I might have found a shop nearby that has a press to make hoses for American import tractors, they might be able to do it. If I have to order only the fittings from the US, they are about 2 or 3 bucks a piece. Just to be sure does that size sound right?

regards,
        sigpicGreets,
        Ronald
        Kuusamo

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

I bought my lower hose for the rear deck cylinders from a place in California called Convertible Service. They show a flat price of $50 per hose on their web site.

Beware of clearances, at least on the rear deck cylinders. My grandfather had a guy work on the top and he pieced together a hose out of off the shelf hoses and T fittings. The T fitting pressed into the rear panel of the trunk as the deck lid opened, stressing the connection and eventually stripping the threads out of the cylinder. Cost me two new cylinders and a new hose, about $350. Keep that in mind when having someone make them custom.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the '58-'59 didn't have hydraulically actuated deck lids. There was a solenoid release and helper springs, but you had to raise the deck lid manually. So there are fewer hoses on them than the fully automatic '60 system.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• kuusamon
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

Yes thanks for your advice.

I did have the hoses made here only for the top cylinders but they look awful and they do no fit perfectly, first I have to switch the top cylinders with each other so the bottom connection is up because the hoses do not have the 'L'piece, second the thread just does not feel right.
            Bummer spend some money on something that is not exactly correct.
            Going to order the whole set in the U.S. it just means waiting before I can continue. The spipping some vendors charge its outrages, they want to charge 25% of the purchase price for sending overseas. I will have it send to california and then it will come later with the container in May.

regards
            sigpicGreets,
            Ronald
            Kuusamo

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡