X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

14" Tire Conversion Chart

The following email is from Jim Reed, long time VTCI member and owner of many Tbird over the decades. Here is what he had to say about 14" tires. This email was mainly addressed to the Edsel Forum, but he included me in it because he knows the information also pertains to us Tbird owners. I am putting it in Anything Goes because it applies to more than just Squarebirds. Here is what Jim had to say. It is published with his permission.

"There is an error on your website (the "tires & wheel covers" sections for the 1958 & 1959 Edsel cars) regarding the "today's radial tire equivalent" sizes.

I have occasionally seen this same error elsewhere in print or online for decades ever since the "P" 75 (& 70) series sizes have been substituted for vintage tires. This misinformation has resulted in some people buying modern radials that are too small on their vintage cars. Not only do they not "look right" (too small), they also result in additional speedometer error due to the smaller diameter and circumference. Even some vendors (vintage and/or mainstream tire stores) have had this same misinformation in their catalogs and websites.

Here is the quote from your site with the errors:
    "Conversion chart
    8.00 x 14 became G78-14 in the 1970s. Today's radial tire equivalent is 205-75R-14. (NO!)
    8.50 x 14 became H78-14 in the 1970s. Today's radial tire equivalent is 215-75R-14. (NO!)

(Thanks to Gary Lancianese for the 2003 tire code update.)"

The correct sizes are P215/75R14, not 205 for the 8.00 x 14, and P225/75R14, not 215 for the 8.50 x 14. The attached chart is correct.

I have several 1958-60 Thunderbirds which use the same size tires. I have driven & owned these cars since 1967, including many years when they were my daily drivers. I am very anal retentive about tires in general (for all cars), about the sizes, the "right look", whitewalls, performance, etc.. You can trust me that my information above is correct (I am 100% sure).

Decades ago when I was buying my 14" tires on a regular basis, the 8.00's were replaced by 8.25's and the 8.50's were replaced by 8.55's. In 1969, the G78 & H78 bias tires came out and I began using them. The 78's were usually bias belted (and had a wider and flatter tread) and were a major improvement in handling. In the early/mid-70s, radials became more popular and affordable, and I began buying GR78's & HR78's, and they were another major handling advance. In the late 70s, the "P 75" series radials began to replace the "78" series.

Every time newer size tires came out, they got wider but slightly smaller in diameter & circumference, almost to the point that today's "correct" equivalent "75" sizes don't look quite right (too small). A 215 tire is noticeably smaller in diameter & circumference than the 8.00. In recent decades, I have been using 225's instead because they look better and have less speedometer error.

IMO, the "70" series tires never look right on our vintage Edsels/TBs, etc., even with wide whites. They are even shorter in diameter. The "equivalent" 70 series sizes are wider 225's & 235's respectively (8.00/8.50), but still don't look right. Vintage 1967+ muscle cars with "wide-oval" original tires look fine with them, but not our cars.

For many years beginning in 1974, I have used (and still use) G78 2 3/8" wide whites (Customwall & Remington brands--no longer available) for my cars that don't see freeways. For longer highway travel, I have been using P225/75R14 radials (Cooper narrow whites).

It is impossible now to find any 225/75R14 narrow whitewall radials (in recent years, only Cooper made them but now they stopped). It's even getting difficult to find 215's. 205's are what many people are buying now, and they are way too small. I plan to go to 15" wheels for highway use (P215/75R15 tires with the 1" larger diameter look better, albeit with a non-original wheel cover and a narrow ww).

BTW, I am not happy with any of the radial wide whites currently sold by any vendors. They are either too small (215's), wrong series (70's), and/or the whitewalls are too big. A 2 1/4" ww is correct--imo anything bigger than 2 3/8" does not look right. I personally prefer a narrow whitewall than one that is bigger than 2 3/8". Also, some modern wide white radials I've seen are pathetic in their widewall quality too--rough, uneven, dull (my ancient Remingtons look better). Not to mention their ridiculous $$$....

I appreciate all Fomoco vehicles of our era. Your Edsel website is fabulous...congrats!

Jim Reed
    (Vintage Thunderbird Club International member since 1971)
    www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net "

Here is the chart that Jim also sent me.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Well Ray, I hate to say this but things have changed yet again. So far we have learned three different systems of tire sizes. Currently we are on the metric system.

Goodyear offers a good site that explains metric tire sizes:
    CLICK HERE
    It is important to note that the very first letter is the intended use for the tire.

Your car's number should start with P because it is a passenger tire. Next is the width of the tire in mm. A 'P215/' tire is a passenger tire that is 215mm wide (sidewall to sidewall).

Now here's the part most old timers miss because we never had such a thing in the old system... The next set of numbers after the '/' is the aspect ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. '70' means, the height is 70% of the width. '60' means the height is 60% of the width (which is shorter). So, we juggle the numbers to get the height and width we want to match our OEM tires.

The most important factor is to first match our original tire's average height, or the speedometer will be wrong! That takes another chart:

So using this information and with a little calculation, it is easy to come up with your desired wheel and tire combination. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

You're both right.

Dave's got the formula right and the 215 & 225, 75 series, 14 " tires are the best match you can find to the original sizes. Unfortunately these are still a bit shorter and a bit wider than the originals.

I did the math on the 'aspect ratio' of our original 8.00-14 & 8.50-14 tires and I think it was something like 83! No cars come with 70 series tires anymore, let alone 75 and 80 series went out 20 years ago.

Even my 17" wheels with 55 series tires (almost SUV sized today) are still an inch shorter than the originals. I wanted a tire with some meat and close to as tall as the originals to fill the wheel wells. I don't think those rubber band tires look right on these old cars.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Here, I'll do the math. It only takes a minute...
        Let's say your OEM bias-ply tires were:
        7.50/14 and 26.8" tall.

The new metric size shows the widths in mm.
        205mm = 8.07"
        215mm = 8.46"
        225mm = 8.86"

Let's say we want 8.46" (215mm) from sidewall to sidewall.
        Is this width right? Remember, OEM tires were 7.5"-wide at the crown on 7.5"-wide rims, with the footprint of a man's size 11 tennis shoe. It might be wise to use 6" rims for this tire width.

So for my example let's use 215mm or 8.46" You can change your numbers later.

desired height (26.8") = the stack of two wall heights plus the rim diameter. One wall height = width times the RATIO.

26.8" = 2(8.46 times RATIO /100) +14" assuming the rim is 14".
        Subtract 14 from both sides..
        12.8 = 2(8.46 times RATIO /100)
        Simplify...
        12.8 = 8.46 times RATIO /50
        Multiply both sides by 50...
        640 = 8.46 times RATIO
        Divide both sides by 8.46...
        75.65 = RATIO

Ok this is exact, but tires have an AVERAGE height. So, a 215/75 profile on a 14" rim would indeed be your OEM height.

If you want a different tire height, width or rim diameter, simply plug in the numbers to get your answer. Nothing is hard here, simple multiplication and addition (but they call it Algebra). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

Your math works, but to get the factory height you had to go a full inch wider. And that's on a 7.50-14, a smaller tire than our Squarebirds came with.

If you compare the dims that Coker lists for the factory 8.00-14 & 8.50-14 tires with today's 215/75R14 & 225/75R14, respectively, they are both about 3/8" wider and 7/8" shorter. Do the math on those original bias ply sizes and they come out as 83 or 84 aspect ratio, very tall for their width. The 75 is the best we can do, but not quite a match.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Doug, I agree. You gotta go wider and use a tall rim to match the OEM height.

Actually, a nearly perfect match for width and height is a P205/R70-16. Goodyear makes an Eagle LS2 in this size (P205/70R16 96T VSB). It's a "quiet-riding, luxury sport tire" with a T speed rating (which is over 115mph).

Man, you'd never have problems with calipers. Come to think of it, the 1955 Fairlane came with 16" rims. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎