X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elvis
    Apprentice
    • Mar 31 2011

ram cylinder rubbing on pan??

HI guys when I pull my engine out I notice where the ram cylinder and the two spindle connecting rods attache in the center of the car had rubbed on the oil pan, now that I restored everything the clearance between the pan and the steering linkage is half a inch and I think it want to rub again all the busching are new. motor support in front are ten years old and very nice, in back it's new, when I swing the car up and down the rods are not touching . please somebody know's what the clearance should be between the rod and the pan and do you have a clue why it's rubbing
    Attached Files
    " go for your dreams "
    Yves as Elvissigpic
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

I just installed a 390 and a C6. I noticed there is very little clearance between the steering components and the oil pan. Does not seem to be a problem. My clearance is also only about 1/2 an inch.

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

What about a new tranny mount??

That could effect the "pitch" of your drivetrain too.

-Jon in TX.

BTW, what is going on with your oil drain plug bolt?
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• elvis
        Apprentice
        • Mar 31 2011

Originally posted by tbird430
        What about a new tranny mount??

That could effect the "pitch" of your drivetrain too.

-Jon in TX.

BTW, what is going on with your oil drain plug bolt?
        brand new tranny mount and engine mount shimed wiht one washer ea.
        " go for your dreams "
        Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

• elvis
          Apprentice
          • Mar 31 2011

looks like I'm the only one to have this problem. today I shim between the engine and the engine mount with two washer problem solve I hope
          " go for your dreams "
          Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

Elvis, do you have the original transmission or a C6? I only noticed how close mine was to rubbing after installing the C6.

Comment

• elvis
              Apprentice
              • Mar 31 2011

Originally posted by lawyercalif
              Elvis, do you have the original transmission or a C6? I only noticed how close mine was to rubbing after installing the C6.
              I have the original trans and my clearens was less than 1/2 in it was rubbing on the pan now I have in total tree washers thickness each side and look ok but all keep a close look I repaint the pan so I'll see if it touche again
              " go for your dreams "
              Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

And you have all stock drivetrain in that silver bird??

sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• elvis
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 31 2011

yup all original drive train the front as granada disc conversion put it was rubbing before I restore the car and it was all original then
                  " go for your dreams "
                  Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

• partsetal
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 4 2005

Here is a thought-There are two idler arm bushings, long & short. They must be in the correct positions and since they are pressed into the drag link and the idler arm bracket, there could be some control of the drag link height, depending on how far they are pressed in. Since you said you replaced bushings, I wonder if this could be the problem.
                    Carl

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

My valve is only about 1 1/2 inches from the oil pan and I have the Granada spindles on my car too. Maybe your tie rod ends are on top of the steering arm rather than the bottom (last pic).?

Your car looks much lower in the front than mine...?...

Eric

Maybe your motor mounts are flat? or the wrong type letting the engine sit lower in the compartment? (bad pic but maybe it will give you an idea of the original type)

Last edited by DKheld; May 14, 2012, 10:08 AM. Reason: another idea

Comment

• elvis
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 31 2011

thank's for the pic eric all post some of mind as soon as I can worhking on 12h shiff but monday all be in vacation so maybe you see why mine is so close
                        " go for your dreams "
                        Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

Maybe we should also get the outter diameter dimensions of a known OE 1958-60 ram cylinder & compare it to yours?

Just so we know yours is OE & not a match off a early Mustang or something like??

-Jon in TX.
                          sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

I do those 12hr shifts often so I know what you mean - we'll look for the pic Monday (or as soon as you can).

Meanwhile Jon has a great idea. Had the Tbird out today so when I returned I measured my PS cyl. 9 3/4 length (cyl only not the arm) and 2 inches in diameter. Ram is original and the one that came on the car new.

Bad news is while I was returning home the rear main seal went south and oil was pouring down on the exhaust. I just pretended I was James Bond and had activated my smoke screen to elude the bad guys

Geez - the oil was everywhere - been trying to decide if I was going to install my new engine or nurse the original along until winter. Guess the rear seal made the decision easy. Probably could get away with just replacing the seal but with 110K and a new engine waiting - It's time.

Eric

Comment

• elvis
                              Apprentice
                              • Mar 31 2011

Hi Guys

Not enough hours in a day, here are some pics of the problems.

Carl mentionned idler arm bushings. Those are the only ones I did nt change. I think they re not bad. Eric, I m sorry to hear about your rear main seal, a bummer just before summer! Hope you can fix it...

My cylinder 2 1/8 x about 12 inches . See pic.
                              When I had it restored they resoldered it and where the solder is , it s 2 1/4 inches, that leaves only 1/4 inch in clearance, that s with my shim in place. You can see my motor mount on one side there is a washer and on the other side there s a shim that is 2 washers thick.

My tie rod ends are OK . I don t understand why it was rubbing but I think with the shim I ll be alwright. I think I m going to rough it like that and see unless you see something I don t see, or another suggestion.

Thanks
                              Attached Files
                              " go for your dreams "
                              Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍