Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirddusty
    • Jan 22 2009

ELECTRIC WIPER Conversion

Does anyone know of a ELECTRIC WIPER Conversion KITS for the rocket-bird . I think I would like to get away from the hydraulics.
    TbirdDusty
    1963 Rocketbird

Wiper motor conversion

Dusty Larry's Thunderbird & Mustang Parts has a conversion to convert from vacume to electric (cost $290.00 plus shipping) their number is 1-800-654-0393 or their on line at www.larrysbird.com hope this helps you. I got caught in a sprinkle last night comming home from a cruse so I started looking late last night for a rplacement. Its part number is #B 17508AK

Comment

I got mine from T-Bird Sanctuary for $244.00 in 2006

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dusty this topic of conversion has been discussed over the years. Go to the main page hit the search button and enter " wiper conversion " as it is a very good read The vacuum system is always great when the psi is not up to speed, running on a flat surface and NOT when you are going uphill under load I can't imagine what the engineers at Ford were thinking about when they designed this system
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• tbirddusty
          • Jan 22 2009

First thing, thank you for all your replies. I know that I can always find answers here. My 63 isn't pneumatic, its hydraulic . I guess I had better update my signature to reflect the year of bird I have. So are we talking apples and oranges here or are we looking at a generic fit? I will check out that thread, right on Dano. Jack and Bob I will do some shopping. Again thanks for the feedback.
          TbirdDusty
          1963 Rocketbird

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

Hydraulic to Electric Wipers

WHY? The hydraulic system is very reliable and infinitely adjustable for speed as opposed to the electrics in '61-'62 - there is a reason why it replaced the electrics. As long as your hoses are in good condition along with the rest of the power steering system it should work very well. If your wiper motor is acting up it may be simpler to swap it out with another used unit.
            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• tbirddusty
              • Jan 22 2009

Alan thanks for the tip. The problem that I have is that, not unlike me, the hydraulic system is not all there. Thinking that it might be simpler to replace it with electric, on the other hand I may try to find the correct power steering pump and pluming diagrams to bring the system back to original.
              TbirdDusty
              1963 Rocketbird

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                Experienced
                • Jan 5 2008

Wiper Hydraulics

You're better off to get the original-type parts and put it back together. Your power steering pump should be irrelevant as the supply line goes from the power steering box to the wiper motor, and the return line from wiper motor to the power steering pump to complete the circuit. If you're using a '65-newer Ford pump with the fluid cannister surrounding the back side of the pump you should be able to run a hose for the return line from the hard line that's bolted to the side of the inner structure to the return nipple on the reservoir if it has one. Chances are someone parting out a '63 will have everything you need for the wiper motor/fittings, PS pump and brackets (you need to tell us if the car has A/C or not, as the original pumps differ in terms of reservoir on the inner fender (w/ A/C) or not (non-A/C has reservoir on top of pump). T-bird parts vendors also have this stuff as well as places that specialize in old-car brake/fuel/PS lines do have the hoses and hard lines. You should be able to find an original-style pump fairly cheap, and they're rebuildable by a mechanically-inclined person with a reseal kit and a basic understanding of how they go together (study the shop manual).

I'm assuming you don't have the '62 shop manual and '63 supplement, nor any of the factory body/trim or electrical assembly manuals. GET OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD AND ORDER THEM NOW!! You can't work in these cars without them. At the very least, go through the various T-bird vendors' catalogs and look for illustrations showing systems like the PS setup to see what you may be missing rather than guess.
                Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• tbirddusty
                  • Jan 22 2009

No AC so I will need the all in one reservoir-pump. I do have the 62 shop manual, but don't have 63 supplement. Your right its time to break out the plastic. Thanks again guys, you have been big help.
                  TbirdDusty
                  1963 Rocketbird

Comment

• tbirder
                    • Feb 25 2009

Electric Conversion

Originally posted by Bob M
                    I got mine from T-Bird Sanctuary for $244.00 in 2006
                    Hey there Bob,
                    I'm wanting to convert mine as well. Have you been running yours since 06? If so, any problems? What kind of quality was the kit and did it leave any more room under the cowl vent over the stock unit? Oh yeah, what about the switch, does it have an intermitent setting??
                    Thanks for all your feed back,
                    Clint

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎